Garden questions

Howell, NJ

The rain has finally stopped and I was able to get more than 5 minutes in between the thunderstorms. For the most part everything looks great except for one tomoatoe plant. It has a white substance that hangs off the stems like little icicles. It is only on one plant and only on a few stems. Does anyone know what this is?
Also, I am having an issue with blossom drop on my zucchini. I have sprayed with rot stop, but it doesn't seem to be working. Someone told me to raise the calcium of the soil with gypsum. Any other suggestions. They get about 3 inches long and then start to turn yellow and rot from the blossom. It is so depressing to see it on all three of my green zucchini and my yellow squash is starting to do it too. Help!!!!!!!!!!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Can you go out, with umbrella, and take a photo of each of the problems for us to try to help you?

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

The zucchini will benefit from a stem guard. Try circling the lowest part of the stem with tin foil, or cut a plastic bottle lengthwise & place it around the stem. There are pests that eat the stem - they lay eggs in the stem, & the laravae feed on the stem - this destroys the plant.
We had good results with this method last year.
Don't panic over the first few blossoms being lost - Zucchinis are heavy producers - as long as you keep the plant healthy, you should have zucchinis well into Autumn!
Julie

North Brunswick, NJ

I'm having the same problem with my zuc's too. I'm a first time gardner and I got so sad when I saw those flowers and veggies falling off. I also don't know if there is some way to cut back all the leaves. My plants are tremendous, taking up all my gardening space and horning in on my tomatoes and other veggies. I don't want to hurt the zuc's I just don't want to limit the others. HELP!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Our radio gardening guy always says to plant more seeds at this time of year. Earlier planting tends to get more squash borer than doing it now.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

If you suspect fungus, you can sprinkle some cinnamon around the plant stem - it also helps ward off bacterial diseases as well. Safe for the plant too!
Another tip is to plant the zucchini on a mound - this prevents waterlogging, & allows some airflow around the stem. These plants, like most other melon type vines, love the hot sunny weather. Not that we have seen much of THAT this year - yet :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.