Look what the cat dragged in

Sonoma County, CA(Zone 8b)

Literally! My cat was chomping on this insect today in the far flung reaches of the property. It looks like a beetle with the hard wings chomped away. I've never seen an intact bug this big on our ranch. Any ideas as to this unfortunate beast's identity?

Thumbnail by mimitho
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Looks like he (not the cat) needs to be rushed to the ER.

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

MIMI,
OMGosh, I HOPE that is NOT actual size, lol.

Best;
blue

Neat photo. I have no idea what it is but had some fun trying to figure out what it was. Maybe something in the Cerambycidae family?

Check this out-
http://www.forestryimages.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=1137012

How big was what was left of the bug?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Yes, how many inches long is that thing?? Ugh!

Thanks! With your good tip, I think he's a Ergates spiculatus, ponderous beetle and they are probably eating the pine stumps at the west side of the ranch. The insect was close to 3 inches long and quite alarming. I thought that the cat was eating a mouse!

My youngest son wants to know if you run across another one that has more of its body in tact can he please have it for his dead bug collection? He offered to pay for shipping. He thinks your bug is beautiful.

Sure, Equilibrium, now, I'll be looking for them. If I run across another, I'll Dmail you. Thanks again for your help in identifying the bugger.

Thanks, we appreciate it.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Hmmm .. kind reminds me of that critter in Jeepers Creepers ..

X

X- You're just jealous she's not gonna set one aside to send to your kid! Ya know... the fox and the sour grapes and all ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.