Trim Summer Squash?

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

I've got two yellow crookneck squash plants that came up way too close to each other. It's practically a jungle of huge leaves and very wide stems, and I'm not sure bees and other pollinating insects can get through to the blossoms. I couldn't bear the thought of yanking one of them up as they are just loaded with tiny unblossomed female fruits, so I opted instead to trim a bunch of stems/leaves off. I am hoping this won't slow down growth of fruits, but at least now the pollinating insects can find the blossoms.

Has anyone done this, and what was the outcome?

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

shameless bump

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I haven't done this exactly, but I have taken off a bunch of leaves with powdery mildew before, and left the healthy ones, and it didn't seem to adversely affect the plant, although that was much later in the season for me. Your season is very different to mine so I'm not sure where the plants stand in their lifespan for you. I would not think it will affect fruit production unless you had taken off so many leaves that the plant could not photosynthesize, which I'm sure is not the case.

Henderson, NV(Zone 8b)

My two plants are very close together also, but the insects have no problem getting to the flowers...I doubt you will need to trim leaves.....Also the first batch of blossoms are probably all males just to lure the insects. The female blossoms will come shortly after and start making babies. I also noticed the first batch of fruits had end rot so just cut them out so as not to decay in the plant. Believe me, they will start making fine squash and you will be checking every day for new treasures. Enjoy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.