Seeds from a mystery tree in Cali.

Fairchild Air Force , WA(Zone 7a)

While hubby was in southern CA for a month, he saw, but didn't get pictures of, 60 foot tall shade trees with purplish-blue blooms. He said the trees were everywhere and tried his best describing the leaves -- kind of shaped like the bracts of a Mimosa's or Walnut's. He brought me some seed pods, but I don't know what the tree's name/species is, how to germinate the seeds, if they'll even do that, and if they'll grow beyond seedlings in my zone and survive. The seed pods are tough, golden brown, and remind me of flattened apples or pears.

Any suggestions?

This message was edited Friday, Jul 20th 9:47 PM

(Zone 9a)

Could they possibly be 'Jacaranda mimosifolia' as seen at the link below?(the site shows the flowers and seed pods)
http://www.hear.org/pier/jamimp.htm

Fairchild Air Force , WA(Zone 7a)

I posted this question to another forum and got a similar response, as well as a link. Hubby looked at the pic. and said that's what the tree is, a Jacaranda. It's too bad the tree is hardy for zones 10 & 11 only. However, I was told I could probably grow it inside as a Bonsai. I don't know if I have the patience for a Bonsai, even if I could get the seeds to grow and live past seedling stage. Thanks for the input.

Silver Springs, NV(Zone 6b)

I've seen these trees (though definitely not 60 feet tall) in San Francisco CA which most emphatically is not even close to zones 10/11. Bees love them. They are messy trees. Their roots can dislodge the sidewalk in the city, and disrupt building sewer pipes. Obviously I'm not a jacaranda fan!

Actually San Fransisco is not very much outside of zone 10 and is actually on the warm end of zone 9. Believe it or not, San Fransisco has a relatively warm climate when comparing winter temps to other areas of the country. Thats why you see jacaranda, palms and other subtropicals growing nicely there. Zones are determined by minimum winter temps, not summer daytime highs.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.