Post-Op Bariatric Proceedure III

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

GrannyLois --- Your proceedure was more complicated than mine but results are almost the same. Sugar is our worst enemy. I've not had any since I first joined the program back in Oct 05. I also suffer with post polio a painful and debilatateing aftermath of the first childhood attack of polio. However today my leg is completely pain-free for the first time in memory? I'm walking, almost, like a normal person. I'll not overdo it for fear that the pain may return. This is a miracle!! Another fantastic happening today was when I awoke and stood up. No back pain and I looked and felt much slimmer.THIS IS A VERY EXCITING DAY FOR ME! I am so tempted to step on the scale but I won't as that is a Friday routine only. "Doctor's orders."

Tplant
I'm still here cheering you on and you also, Granny for your determination to make a change in your life. We all have things in our lives we need to change ... but can't find the will or the want to bad enough to do it. I applaud you for your courage and determination. :-)
Hugs&blessings ... elaine

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

tplant, that news about your leg is so wonderful. My knees were one of my big problems, and now I rarely have knee pain. They only hurt now if a strong weather front is coming or if I do too much hiking.

Isn't it such a blessing? I know you're thrilled.

101 - thanks! If I had not had major surgery previous to the bypass, I would have been much more fearful of choosing to have this surgery. But in 1995, I had to have a kidney removed which involved a 9" slice in back and a 6" slice in front. Thankfully, I healed up just fine.

Because of that, I had very little concern about recovery from the bypass surgery. So I guess I could say that the kidney surgery was a blessing in disguise.

You guys have a great day. I'm glad I found this thread!

Yep, I always say troubles are our blessings on down the road. :-) It's just we can't see the big picture like God can. Then years later we look back and realize how this or that was a blessing in disguise. :-)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hmmm, 101, some of my blessings are in very clever disguises! Tplant, when I read granny's post at first, I thought YOU had lost 101 lbs and I was shocked that you had lost 20-30 lbs in a few days! I'm glad you're still on your slow & steady plan!

And congratulations on your new thread! You're everyone's hero! BTW, I bought three tomato plants, planted them in pots with lobelia and petunias, and totally forgot about them. Now they each have a tomato the size of a marble. What should I do next? (I know, wrong forum.)

Tplant, can you look back on your life and figure out what you did to wind up in such a state? I don't mean the wonderful new state you're in now, but the sad, bad pre-surgery, or maybe even pre-heart attack state? What advice would you give people? With kids who still might listen.....

xxxxx, Carrie

Carrie --- First off stake your tomatos for support. As far as what I would do differently? Well I would have to say stop eating huge amounts of fast food, watch your fat intake, learn to manage stress. I discovered more than 95% of the things I worried about never happened and the five percent was controlled by truth and facing the problem. Be more loving to my family and make them the highest priority. Money does solve a lot of problems but not if the cost to obtain it is too high. Alcohol only deadens the problem temporarily and allows the problem to fester and grow stronger.
I missed a lot of my childrens "grow-up time" because of my 6&7 twelve hour days and have little or no memories of my son and daughter growing up as they were asleep when I left and asleep when I came home. When My son, the oldest at seventeen, told me I have a drinking problem I was shocked! But when my wife and daughter left me a few months later I knew it was true. I decided to make a new life.
I got a job with a Merrill Lynch Company and more than doubled my income the first year and tripled the following year and so on but in 98 my heart gave out and forced me to retire on a manageable income. I must say the rich life I lived did not help, as I was kind and grateful to others but neglected my food habits and with the onset of post polio after my heart attack and my weight gain after my attack I realized I was in trouble but with the birth of my grandson in2003 and my love for him made me determined to live for his love. I didn't want to die and leave him.
So you see, it was a combination of happenings but most important I found God and with his help my life became a beautiful new way, like the premier of a great play that seems to go on and on. If I only listened to the advice of my parents in my younger years I could have avoided a lot of agony but I had the attitude of "What do they know?" I learned too late the value of "What they really knew!"

Tplant
What a beautiful story you have to share. Hats off to you for what you have done and are doing by sharing with others.
Have a blessed day ... Elaine

Tplant, your answers were very thoughtful. One can tell that you've really thought over your life. My favorite part of your answer was the part about you finding God.

I'm still pain free in my back and legs. Can this last?? I'm so not used to this that when I walk I still whince in anticipation of the forth coming pain but it doesn't happen. Today is a stormy day and the only pain I have is a mild arthritic discomfort in my upper arms. Normally I would be very uncomfortable but I'm not?

Weigh-in time!!! The scale says says 273 a loss of 1lb only but after last weeks 5lb loss, I'm not complaining. Still pain-free and feeling great or should I say slim. Fell a little behind on my protein intake the past two days. I just forgot to take all of my required supplements so "I must get back on the wagon" so to speak. My size 50 stretch pants are very loose and baggy in the seat and my shirts have long gone from 3XL to 2XL and now XL but my pants size have not shrunk as fast but patience is a virtue! (So they say!!!") I know I could do better with excercise but that would be the worst thing I could do for my muscles because of my post-polio syndrome, but then, Im able to walk again, soooo, I'll try to do some extra walking and perhaps, soon, I'll be able to go to the in-laws townhouse for a swim in the pool with my 3yr old grandson ? Things are really looking up for me!!!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

things sure are looking up for you! you are doing fantastic.

Great progress Tplant. You have a lot to be proud of. :-)

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

YAY for you Tplant!! I'm happy for you!

Congrats!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Tuning in to get the latest update!! Those were wonderful words of wisdom you shared with us.

Thanks,

Judy

Words of wisdom learned the very hard way!! Hope someone reading this will see the error of their ways whether it be morally or physically or both. I know I would not want to relive that he-- again and I don't mean heaven...

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

T-Plant,
You are doing so well, congratulations!! Sorry I missed your b/day, belated birthday wishes! I can see you got your wish for continued success at losing the weight and successfully keeping it off!

I wish I had your determination, but learned a long time ago, be careful what you wish for, you might get it. Sort of like the first, last and only time I prayed for patience!!

Have you tried stevia as a replacement for sugar? Just curious to know if you were able to tolerate it +/or liked it. Thinking about getting me one of the plants.

Best wishes for your continued success at losing that darn extra weight! When you get down to my weight, I will have to get shaking too!! ~ Suzi :)

Yes I did try stevia a long time ago and did not like it. I don't use sugar in any form now and really have developed a dislike for the sweetness. It is interesting how I no longer crave ice cream my #1 downfall. If I desire, notice I say desire and not crave sweets, I'll eat some fruit like melons. Watermelons are my favorite and are available year round thanks to South America. A really great treat are the frozen real fruit, no sugar added, fruit pops made by Edies. However, rarely do I indulge as I just don't desire the sweet stuff even the fruit pops. I eat my three very small portions per day plus snacks of fruit, drink lots of water plus my protein drinks and also enjoy SOBE diet drinks and flavored diet teas of all kinds. So you see I'm really not denying myself of anything except harmful foods. Since I stopped eating junk food my complexion has improved. I look and feel younger, my wrinkled forehead has unwrinkled. Of course the weight loss helps but I think the combination of both really tops it off. I used to be in pain all the time with my arthritis, especially my right ankle and now I can walk almost completely pain free. I feel that sugar made me suffer so much pain in my body that it has now become my worst enemy. I can have some amount as it is almost impossible to buy something without it. Usually 8-12 grams per serving and no more.

This message was edited Jul 3, 2006 6:58 PM

tplant and everyone,
I discovered a new soda: Tropicana sugar free orangeade and lemonade. It's oh-so-good and non-carbonated! Wal-Mart has it.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Tplant-

When you changed threads I forgot to add the new one to my watch list! I was starting to wonder about you until I saw that your thread said yes and I hadn't been notified. Hmmmph. I finally read your answer of 6:51 pm to my question at 5:31.

How does one get rid of stress? I'm sorry to be asking all these big metaphysical questions! Your answer was so "it's a wonderful life" or "the wizard of oz" - you have to figure out the answer for yourself but then it's not really that hard. I dunno, something like that. Reminds me of body surfing in rapids. Yes, there are huge dangerous rocks but if you just relax and trust the river, you will slide right past them.

xxxxx, Carrie

GrannyLois ---- I love lemonade and orangeade! I've seen it on the shelf but always thought it was carbonated so I just kept walking. Thanks! I will try some...

Carrie --- I had a bleeding ulcer from stress back in 86" and almost bled to death. Stress related work was the cause of my problem and holding back and not venting my anger. In my position I had to grin and smile most or all the time. I didn't learn to control it as this was the primary cause of my heart attack of 98. As a matter of fact my Higher Power chose to calm me by forced retirement which saved my life. My cardiologist still has me on 50mgs of zoloft 1x day. I feel I don't need it but he knows best.
So many people suffer from self-imposed stress, but not in your case, that they bring it upon themselves. I have an in-law that isn't happy unless he has something to worry about? HONEST! I learned, kind of late, that the best way to face stress is to face it! I have a library of self motivating and stress albums that made a fantastic change in my outlook upon the business world and my personal life. My mentor was Earl Nightingale.(Deceased) I learned the most from him and 50 other authors.

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

I've decided to start using meditation for stress. I understand it can work wonders.

Well, I guess it will be a little slower losing weight as I seemed to have gained a pound over last week. Today I weigh 274 versus 273 of last week but I'm wearing a smaller pair of pants for the first time today. I'm now down to size 48 from a 54? That is not to shabby. Feel thinner than last week though? Strange! Well got to take "Scooter" my Best freind, to the vet for her semi exam. See you in about an hour and a half or so.

Thumbnail by Tplant
Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

" I'm wearing a smaller pair of pants for the first time today."

I think that's a greater victory than the scale! After all, that's what we all are fighting for.......smaller clothes!!!
Pati

I agree with Pati tplant, just because the scale doesn't say you lost, your body is obviously changing for the better!!!

you did WAY better than I did this past week with the holiday!! You are doing FANTASTIC!!!!!

Tplant ... you *know* how those scales *lie* LOL

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Don't forget, muscle is heavier than fat. I know moving and of course exercize is a BIG problem for you, but if somehow you converted, through all these miraculous changes, 1 lb of fat into 1 lb of muscle, there would be less of you in terms of volume, while the same in weight. I want pictures! I want pictures! It's not too soon; it's just the right time... I want pictures!

xxxxx,
Carrie

I will take pictures although I still don't see that much of a change in me from last time. When I went to buy some pants the other day at Wal-Mart, don't want to buy quality clothes until I lose more weight as it would be a waste, I had a difficult time finding a SIZE 48 IN EVERY STYLE OF PANTS they had? Wow! We have an astounding amount of large size men as even the larger sizes were not available. This is not the first time I came across this problem. Seems if you are not there the day after they arrive you are out of luck? Think about that? What does that tell you about our society? Scary?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

This is, again, a little off topic, but I get sick always buying L or XL pants, especially since when they get marked down only M and S are left. I went to Lane Bryant, I wear the smallest size in pants they carry, and I AM A MEDIUM!!!!!

Yeah ... and you ought to try to find shoes when you wear a size 5 or 6. Impossible! LOL Maybe you can order them? But who in the *world* wants to order shoes!

I used to order my size 54 pants from the JC Penney Catolog because I stayed that size but it would be to expensive to order such quality clothing only to throw them away in a month or so. Wow? Would you listen to me? From 54 to 48 from 3XL to XLT? Now it hits me! That is amazing for 4-5 months. All without hunger pangs.
I saw the surgery that they did on me, Lap-band, on the Discovery Medical channel the other night. The surgeon had quite the time getting through the fat layer of his patient to place the band. My surgeon also had a tough time although I wasn't as large as the patient they had but I was close only taller. When I started this plan back in November of 05, I weighed 329 and gaining. On the date of my surgery on 3/10 I weighed 308 so there is quite the difference. Now 274. I wish others could do this?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

PICTURES!!!!

Tomorrow!!! Nobody home today to take the picture??? Except Scooter and I haven't taught her to use the camera. YET!!!!!! LOL

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OK, OK, I guess that's a good excuse! I'll be waiting tomorrow though...

xxxxx, Carrie

tplant, do you have thrift shops down there? It would be better maybe to go someplace like that to buy your interim clothes. That is what I did before when I lost weight. If I ever can get losing again, I'd do the same, its just such a waste to buy clothes to wear for a month.

Well one of our Wal-Mart stores that I go to have great prices on clothes. I paid $12 for my jeans, $16 for casual pants and $7ea for my three shirts so I don't think I could do any better. They will be my main clothier for a few months until I stabilize and reach my goal which at this rate may be by Christmas? I don't mind buying clothes at those prices cause it is cheap enough for me to get new clothes every other month or so and I can give my clothes to charity. It feels great to keep reducing the size and fit into something I've not been able to do for years. To bad youth is wasted on the young! I sure would know what to do with it now.....LOL

Oh by the way. I bought two bottles of the new Tropicana non-carbonated fruit drinks today and they are delicious. The flavors are orangeade and fruit punch. Thanks for the info.

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

TPlant, thrift store can prob drop that price by 50-75%, while consignment store can drop that price by about half. Hmmm would anyone know that I tend to utilize the consignment cottage here for my younger DD, who grows by leaps and bounds! She is still 8 and wears girls 16's; almost as tall as me too.

Congrats on losing so much! It is not necessarily the number on the scale, as long as it is generally decreasing. But it is how you feel and the size that you are now in that should be your chief indicators!! ~ Suzi :)

I purchased pants in sizes 46 and 44 awhile back when I was on a supervised diet with a nutritionist in anticipation of weight loss, however, that didn't last. As a matter of fact, I gained more afterwards than I lost, so I have clothes for my next venture.

I'm glad you like the Tropicana sugar-free drinks. I think they're one of the best drinks around. Today I had lemonade mixed with orangeade - yummy!

Moorhead, MN

Your thread was really heartening Tplant, THANKYOU. I'm counting down the days to the 18th I'm having a 3way openheart bypass done then. Had gone to Dr. to talk about lap/band procedure and shortness of breath, no answers on sob but when they did a catherization found I needed the coronary bypass. Suprised the cardiologist (and me- I'm 56) said that was 1st then after healing go for the bariatric bypass. Like you finding alot to live for- With God's help and Zoloft we'll make it! Kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.