When to transplant?

Sonoma County, CA(Zone 8b)

We've had a JM in a huge container for 10 years. Coral bark has been growing on the east side of the deck with afternoon shade from a California Walnut tree. It's grown quite large and it happy under these conditions, but I think it's time to get it in the ground so it can finish maturing.

When will it be the least traumatic to move this guy?

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Definitley in the fall when it cools abit and after the late flush JM'S usually have ...you live inCA so I am not sure of the exact date but after leaf fall would be safest...You might want to try to somehow CAREFULLY cut the container off with a tree that is so big... otherwise you may have trouble getting it out without damageing it!!...be sure to spread the roots out the best you can and cut any that are root bound or encircling the plant... Make the hole twice as large around as the root ball but only just as deep!!! but be sure tio plant it the level it is now planted NOT DEEPER...and have the crash pads ready ...if it's THAT big you may need 'em. ;>) David

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Wow, would love to see pics when you do this!

Laura

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Laura just watch ER ;>)00000 David

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

General wisdom is to move Japanese Maples in January in zone 9. However, container trees seem to be planted any time of the year here with good success. It can get up to 25 feet in our area so be sure to give it a lot of room or be prepared to keep it pruned!

This message was edited Jun 28, 2006 9:07 PM

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I forgot to say that if you are going to move it from shade to sun move it slowly so it doesn't get shocked by the change. I know - big container, big tree. It's not required, but it's the only thing that I've lost trees to. If you need to move it all at once it's safer to move it in winter when the sun is lower.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.