Are Jersey White Giants docile and quiet?

Theresa, NY

I am thinking about adding on to my recent order of chicks. I want a white breed which are a little different. I was thinking about Jersey White Giants or White Wyandottes but was wondering if anyone knew if these 2 were quiet breeds (I'm ordering all hens), as I have a neighbor and I want to only have the more docile quiet breeds. Another I was thinking about were white rocks. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Antrim, NH

How about white silkies?

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I think silkies are lovely, but aren't they much more vulnerable to wet and cold weather than Giants?

Brahmas and Cochins are often very mellow birds. If you're getting only hens I'm sure anything you get will be fine.

Theresa, NY

Silkies are beautiful, but I was worried about getting them, as we have very cold and wet weather here. I'm not too familiar with the Brahmas and Cochin breeds.

Thanks for all your help.

Antrim, NH

My silkies live here in NH, which has been very wet lately. My hen always looks like a drowned rat, but she made it through the winter fine. Maybe it was b/c she was in a mixed flock. She is not shy about burrowing right under other hens to stay warm on a chilly night.

I recently got two white bantam brahmas and they are lovely little birds.

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

I have Jersey giants!!! They are lovely. They are quiet and all business like.
I ordered the black ones. They mosey around the yard with their friends and
mind their own business. They don't talk much either. They are inquisitive
and have funny blue jean coloured legs. They are on the endangered list.

They will do fine here in Michigan, so I guess they will do fine in NY too.
sheri

Theresa, NY

WigglyPaw,
Thanks so much for the information. I had ordered my limit with my chicks, but I ordered some white giants for my grandmother.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.