Perennials in the garden setting: Show us your pics!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I've been loving everyone's pics of gardens featuring perennials, and the season's not even half over! So here's a continuation to show off your summer show. Here's a link to the previous thread:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/613531/

A shot of my pink garden yesterday:

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Monarda 'Marshal's Delight' in front of Lonicera 'Harlequin' in the pink garden

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Here's my helter skelter garden pic, off center but what the hey....

includes:

Perennial Foxglove
Evening Primrose
Anise Hyssop
Adenophora
Campanula Latifolia or Lactiflora ( I cannot remember) oop its Latifolia
Hydrangea Ami Pasquier
Lamb's Ear
yellow Snapdragon, which came back this year due to mild winter.

The garden also has Geranium Jolly Bee (WOW), Rozanne and Tiny Monster; Alchemilla Mollis, Rosa Golden Showers,Clematis General Sikorski, Boxwood, and Forsythia standards.

Thumbnail by Ivy1
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Here is a little bit better pic of Latifolia. I can't tell you how beautiful it is, my camera cannot get the blue-purple color of it with the primrose and greenish yellow hydrangea buds.

Thumbnail by Ivy1
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I love Monarda Marshall's Delight and Harlequin so much. I have both out in the back yard but the Harlequin is not taking off at all. I will have to see if she makes it.

Your fist shot is very interesting. I love the Geraniums and Lily peeking through. Which geranium do you have? I also wonder how you keep your Gooseneck Loosetrife from overtaking everything?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Ivy! That's 'Johnson's Blue' geranium. I've found the messy sprawling habit of them can be useful planted in the middle of the garden for sprinkles of blue throughout the mix. I have the loosestrife planted in a little area I have'nt ammended that's almost pure gravel. Then whenever I'm weeding I usually yank out a few handfuls for good measure.

I love your blue and yellow plant combo! Those campanula are gorgeous. And please do be sure to post more pics as your hydrangea colors up. Sounds like you have planned well for color all season long (bet those forsythia standards were amazing!).

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

They are really nice, but right now they are HUGE lollipops with bent stems, because of the rain. I really should be outside pruning!

Here is Ami Pasquier from last year-

Thumbnail by Ivy1
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I try to plan for season long color, but things never seem to work that way! I have trouble from midsummer on. Last year, due to my White Swan Coneflower seeding itself out of existence, I accidently added a touch of pink in the summer and fall. I may just run with that idea- I also have tall phlox seedlings and ironweed in the same pinky purple at the same time. Personally, I like pink and yellow together.

Thumbnail by Ivy1
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Ivy, I like your laifolia. Does it have a common name? Looks like adenophora on steroids.
dave

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I've tried telling it steroids are bad....it just won't listen!

It is called Giant Bellflower. Brantwood is a new variety with darker coloration. Mine is just the plain old Latifolia. It is more purple than my camera can show- just about perfectly in between blue and violet.

It is shorter and squatter than Adenophora, but they overlap in bloom time for me. So the Latifolia starts off, and goes kinda quickly, but then the Adenophora takes over and blooms for a longer time. But the Latifolia seeded itself around my Hydrangea in an almost perfect circle, so I don't begrudge it a short bloom time....it's really cool.

somewhere, PA

Do you find Adenophora to be a nuisance? I started them from seed a few years ago and have
been pulling them ever since. Trying to take over the entire bed!

Neal - I LOVE that little pink lily peaking out behind the astilbe. Beautiful combo! And I plant
geraniums all over - they really do fill in blank spaces (base of roses e.g.) and add a little sprinkle
of color.

Tam

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Tammy, My adeneophora spreads pretty slowly. I really like it. I deadhead pretty compulsively. I wonder if that's why I don't have a problem. Did yours spread or reseed invasively?

Ivy, with the steroids, does it smack the JBs on its own or would that steal your fun?

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

gemini_sage
Thanks for starting the new link. Guess I was slacking. LOL Really, I've been shredding thousands of papers and throwing 'crap' out of a bedroom. Then I painted the ceiling and the walls and did a funkie 'spongie' type paint thing on one of the walls. Also tore out the old carpet and installed the new carpet. Whew! And today it was 106 degrees, so time outside was spent in the pool with family. So I think I'll 'play' for a bit and add some more photos. Hope you like them.

Here's a white lily I have blooming.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Here's another new lily I have blooming. It's one of the wrong ones that were sent to me from an order earlier this year. Is this maybe called 'Regale'? It's pretty, but I still wish I would have got the ones I ordered. ;o(
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Here's one of my Astillbes.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Some more of the wrong lilies from my order. But still pretty.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Here is a shot of my Coral Sunset lilies. This is one of the correct ones from my order.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Here is a shot of some of this and some of that. LOL
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

My Hydrangea.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Here's a yellow daylily that I've had in the garden for a few years, but can't remember what it is. Anyone know?
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

And here's something I did 'just for fun'. It's a picture of some of my white sweet surrender lilies that I added some 'effects' to.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

gemini_sage,
Beautiful! I really like the first photo with the Astillbe and the Lily poking through. Nice job.

Ivy1,
Very, very pretty! Especially the second shot. Your hydrangea is lovely.

Sherry

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Here's a recent one of the backyard garden. It changes all the time.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Here's a recent pic of one of my front gardens. it's starting to fill in now. But it still has a long way to go.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Here is a picture of our Silk Tree that we are trying to baby back to health. I love this tree and will continue to baby it no matter how bad it looks until it's back to it's healthy self.
Sherry

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Ooops, the picture might help. LOL
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
somewhere, PA

Sherry - they are all lovely! That white lily with the yellow center is very pretty even if it isn't what
you ordered. And I think I've got Coral Sunset lilies (got them in a mix so I didn't know what they
were).

What is the edging around your beds? It looks like a lovel concrete form. Tell us about it.

Thanks
Tam

somewhere, PA

Forgot to answer about the Adenophora - it spreads by rhizomes. They aren't that hard
to pull but I find them everywhere - 5-6' from where I planted them in a single year. They
are pretty in bloom but look weedy when done. I got the seeds from Thompson Morgan,
something like Amethest ?? (I only wrote down Adenophora in my seed inventory. I planted
them in '01 and have been pulling them out since '02).

Here's a cute little bloomer I got in a seed exchange of the Hardy Plant Society. Its common
name is Hawkweed. Hieracium Maculatum. The folliage is a mottled green and its been
blooming for several weeks and just seems to be gaining strength. (Planted last fall, from
seed started in spring last year).

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

And the daylilies are starting to bloom on the rocky hillside by my garage. This
was just a scrubby rocky slope - I've been trying to get it weeded enough to plant
for years. Finally starting to go from eyesore to garden.

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

Coral Sunset?

Thumbnail by Tammy
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Sherry, Your gardens are incredible! Is that yellow daylily a large plant with large blossoms? I hane one I inherited that looks like yours and I would like to know its name too.
Tammy, I haven't had that problem with adenephora for some reason. I cut mine back after blooming to avoid that weedy look and get a second bloom.
Dave

Dayton, TX(Zone 9a)

I put out 27 bags of mulch that I got a good deal on at Lowes. (bags ripped) . They are all different colors so my beds look kind of like a quilt. I have decided the hostas look better on the black mulch. But at .50 a bag--- who's complaining.

Thumbnail by ruthm
Dayton, TX(Zone 9a)

another bed with hostas and hydrangna

Thumbnail by ruthm
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I actually wanted the Adenophora to spread.... I like it. But there are other things in the garden I am not crazy about spreading - like my evening primrose. It is getting ripped out this year to make way for some more blue and purple stuff. It will probably still come back, but I haven't been on top of it the last couple of years.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is my rather raggedy taggedy butterfly garden. I love it but it's too disorganized and I'm going to remodel it this fall.

Of course, I call it my 'butterfly garden', but I haven't had any butterflies but the cabbage kind so far. LOL

Thumbnail by tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

And I tried for a 'color echo' here with the lily and the rudbeckia hirta, but didn't quite achieve it. The lilies were much more faded looking than the catalog indicated. Oh, well...

I've loved everyone's pictures. So many different kinds of perennial gardens to enjoy!

Thumbnail by tabasco
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

tabasco,
Very pretty pictures! I love the orange daylilies in the first photo. And the 2nd looks like an echo to me if you only look at the bottom half of the photo. Very pretty lily there. Do your rudbeckia hirta reseed? I am finding them all over my garden. They are pretty, aren't they.
Sherry

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Great pics, everyone.
Here is Clematis 'Polish Spirit'
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful pics t ! I think the lily combo works very nicely. Is the lily 'Red Hot' ? I think you did achieve a nice echo there. It's subtle, but still blends the combination beautifully.

ruthm, very pretty, love your fence.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow! Andy, that's huge! And gorgeous too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.