Found some wild roses or at least I think it is !

Kingston, MA

Taking a walk today dead heading and working outside...............out of the corner of my eye I see this lovely pink flower. It is growing on the outside edge of my pine grove. I believe it is rose virginia? What a nice surprise after all this rain!

dj

Thumbnail by djsgarden101
Fayetteville, PA(Zone 6b)

That definitely is a wild rose.... Not 100% sure what kind, though. How big is the plant? If its about as big as those miniature roses that they sell in the store, then it's a Rosa carolina, a.k.a. Carolina Rose or Pasture rose, and one of our natives. I have two plants in my garden, but the leaves look somewhat more glossy. If it's about as big as a normal rose bush, then it's a Rosa virginia, or Virginia rose, which is also native, and there are several large bushes growing in and around some abandoned limestone quarries near where I live. This year, I'm going to try starting some cuttings from them so that I can have my own Virginia roses without hurting the native population.

Kingston, MA

Hikaro, it is at least two feet tall or over with lots of smaller starts growing near it. I compared leaves and blooms for quite sometime before I decided it must be the virginia rose. Much paler color and leaves are a bit more elongated than the carolina. I did at first think it was the carolina until I found the pictures of the virginia. Either way I am thrilled to have it. Hope it all works out with you for your start of virginia roses. Not sure if it is possible for me to dig up one of the smaller starts and mail it safely what do you think?

dj

Thumbnail by djsgarden101

Well, Rosa virginia is EXTREMELY drought tolerant.... the ones growing wild where I live are growing in an abandoned limestone quarry, where the 'soil' is about 75% limestone gravel, and therefore VERY well drained.... In addition, these plants have survived (with no problem whatsoever) some of the worst droughts on record, even growing in such dry conditions..... To give you an idea, there are some colonies of Eastern Prickly Pear cacti growing near them....

Therefore, I think they should make it through the mail just fine.....

I've got the perfect spot for them too..... I just evicted a large colony of the blasted multiflora rose (highly invasive foreigner that has flowers that are smaller and less showy than the local wild cherries), and am planting an array of native and somewhat exotic plants in their place (I've got hardy sugar cane, C australis, Chinese Yellow Banana, Needle Palms, Mc Curtain County Dwarf Palmettos, Summersweet bushes, Hardy Bananas, Oregon Grape Hollies and a large Hosta).

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Wow DJ! Another backyard flower find! I'm moving to Kingston!

Kingston, MA

:) Dave it is a very nice place to live. I am really enjoying my finds. Amazing how much joy nature gives us.

dj

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I've found jack in the pulpit, bloodroot, trout lily and dutchman's britches in abundance. It is a great feeling. But you are the champ!

Kingston, MA

lol thanks but not sure about the champ...............I believe mother nature is the champ in this case!!!

dj

Windham, NY(Zone 4b)

hikaro- if you take a rose cane down to the ground and put a rock on it it will root. we have those wild roses all over and they spread like crazy. i am rooting a bunch in the field acrossed the street from me to put on a rocky bank. they will grow anywhere, even by the road with all the salt. i love them.

Kingston, MA

Hikaro..................after weather cools a bit remind me and I will post you some rootings from mine to help get you started. But remember I will probably need reminding lol. hahaha

dj

I might just try that at the rock quarry...... I know that roses can be layered, but haven't tried it yet... Been too busy with planting other stuff.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.