Texas Star hibiscus

Cordele, GA

Does anyone on this forum grow Texas star hibiscus? I would like to trade for a rooted cutting.

Beth

Atlanta, GA

I have three...two white and one fuschia...my fuschia one just bloomed today for the first time this year! The two white ones have dark brown-red centers, and have very dark leaves that are a different shape than the fuschia ones. Their buds should pop open any day now.

I did not know that one could propagate them as rooted cuttings...but I am pretty ignorant about this. They have hollow stems, so I thought they could only grow from seeds. They have a ton of seed pods. If you find out that that is the way to grow them, I will happily send you some. I bought all of mine from Home Depot as plants that were 2 feet tall at least. They were less than $20 each...I think less than $15. They grow FAST. You cut them down to the ground each year and then they grow new stalks. The stalks die each Fall after freezes, but I leave them up until January or so because I think the bare stalks look pretty. I shine an uplight onto them. Last year mine were at least 12 feet tall!

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

They grow very easy and fast from the seed.. Mine is also blooming.. Mine is red.

Larkie

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I have the red Texas star,but never over 6-7',maybe my ground has problems,also no seed pods,are mine all batchlors? I would love to get seeds from a white,and fuschia,if I could get on your list,fermina.Thank you Mike

Atlanta, GA

Anyone who wants seeds mailed to them should D-Mail me their address, and I will send them. Anyone have an idea of whether it is Ok to send a pod right after the flower drops off, or should I wait until they have dried up some?

My white one bloomed yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to post some pics, huh?

Cordele, GA

I think that the seed need to mature in the pod. With most things in the malva family the seed either ripen in a pod that becomes papery dry and splits open when the seed are ripe. There are some that form a pulpy berry type of fruit like the Turk's cap, but I think all the hibiscus form a dry pod when ripe.

Beth

Atlanta, GA

Yep, they do get dry!

Wait until the seed pods dry. The problem with hibiscus is that the seed is "fuzzy" so I take the pods and put them in paper lunch sacks, then hang the sacks (I have a seed drying rack I hang from) for two weeks. You are guarenteed nice dry seeds ready to package that won't get all moldy when packaged.

GGG

Atlanta, GA

Thank you!

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Just got a bunch of trees cut down and I had about 2 dozen hibiscus red star seedlings grown from from last year that were stomped on, branches drug over, and run over by a stump grinder. Only one looks okay now. I wonder if any of the others will make it now? Good help is so hard to find, it seems like.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Ha no worries on whether they'll come back if they have roots. My friend has bulldozed his for years and it keeps showing up. This is the red y'all are speaking of, right?
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/5343/

I have a big white (think it's called Blue Moon) that gets eaten alive by Japs, suffers drought, never gets fertilized, lives in clay--and still coming back for more after 10 years!

Cordele, GA

On the other hand, if you paid $25.00 for a four inch pot of a plant which you have sought for years, its life is so fragile that you can kill it by looking at it.

Beth

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.