Irises are Done.. what now?

Emmaus, PA(Zone 6a)

What is the best way to care for my irises now that they have finished blooming? the stalks are still green. Should i cut them down or leave them till they turn brown? My biggest fear is iris borer setting into them.. At my other home, iris borer killed many an iris there, so many, that i gave up growing them.

Any advice would be appreciated. thank you...

terri.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

From what I am reading, Terri, you want to start to divide and move irises a month or two after they bloom, but before they start putting out new roots for next years growth.... I have started digging up the worst of mine, and I an finding borers a-boreing and carefully separating out the good parts of the clumps from the bad, which goes into a sealed trash bag to be burnt.
Sharon

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I don't replant in the same soil. I move iris around when replanting after dividing.

Also, dig around and look for pupae when digging up any iris.
inanda

Emmaus, PA(Zone 6a)

These Irises were divided late last summer, so they are ok for another season or 2.. I was wondering about the flower stalk.. do i cut it down now, or wait till it turns brown?

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi Terri,
I don't know how to do the link thing but I had just asked a similar question in my "cutting back rebloomers" thread. You can read it but, I am told that yes, you should cut back all stalks as soon as they are all done blooming. (even rebloomers)
Good luck !

Deb

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I cut off all spent blooms unless I've hybridized the bloom. Later on when I have time, I go around and carefully snap off the bloom stalks. They snap off easily. If it is a clump I'm dividing, then I just snap off he spent stalks at that time.
inanda - who does not have rows and rows like Laurie. Maybe she will hop in here.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Deb, here's the link to your thread...http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/616764/

I break off all my spent flowers and if they won't break, I cut them...break off or cut as close to the rhizome as you can. Don't cut the leaves unless you're digging and dividing.

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

thanks weegy12

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

You are very welcome!

Emmaus, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Weegy

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

What do pupae look like?

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

you should cut them down, dig them up and send them on their way to your iris poor DG friend in Texas .ASAP

Emmaus, PA(Zone 6a)

Hey Jackie!! you will be getting some next yr.... im sure, with the way they have been growing this yr, that i will have to split them up next summer. I only just moved and split them all up last summer.. The only thing is, i dont know names.. these irises were here when i bought the house last yr. :)

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

Beauty doesn't necessarily have to be named....an iris by any other name is still an iris.......;>0

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Just keep vigilant about the borer-horrer! I have to dig, inspect, bleach and replant all of my irises this year, as I have been totally neglectful of the important points of iris growing. I am just throwing out the badly infested ones, and trying to keep a few fans of every variety. Looks like I will still have plenty to replant.

Emmaus, PA(Zone 6a)

I agree with you totally, Jackieshar... :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.