gypsy moths

Beachwood, OH

I am not sure what to do next, but tonight I identified 4 caterpillars as gypsy moth cats. Groan.... just what I need. I looked at the entomology site for the Univ WI - and there's no doubt thats what they are. The Ohio State bulletins say they've been moving into Northeast Ohio and this year they are expected to increase in numbers. Has anyone else seen them? They say that Bt works but it also kills all other caterpillars - so thats no good. There is a new fungal biological control but I'm not clear whether its available to the general public yet. I wonder if I am able to get rid of them if they'll come right back next year? I live in a heavily wooded area with lots of oaks - a preferred tree. If anybody has any suggestions I'm open. Thanks

Kingston, MA

I am so sorry to hear about your problem. Here in the Northeast they are so out of control it is not funny. Bt only works early in season and best sprayed by a professional if you ask me. There are sticky tapes you can place on the trunk of the trees and I prefer using them and the burlap to trap them. With burlap wrapped and secured around the trees with an overhang about five feet up on the trunk, but you must go out regularly and scoop them out and kill them. As for the fungacide idea I think that is still just mother nature during extremely wet seasons that helps to reduce their numbers. They have no natural enemies except 1 type of beattle and it is not native to the east coast but I do remember reading something about the possibility of it being used if necessary. Look in your trees from 15 to 25 feet up for webbed colonies. These can and should also be burned out if possible using great care or from a professional. Most of us here have used extended bamboo poles with rags soaked with kerosene or gas, secured on the top of the pole with wire and all it takes is a quick touch of flames to destroy the nest. Gypsy moths are very prolific breeders and at best you will only be able to reduce their numbers. I would only suggest the non-chemical means of reducing their numbers so as not to disturb the other friendly and necessary insects to your area. If spraying is necessary I suggest a professional who can concentrate on only the areas needed. Bamboo pole method only with great care and a watering hose close by. Actually I think they prefer Wild Cherry Trees first then Oak and Maple, but let me tell you they will land and eat on anything including grass in your lawn, pines rhodies, bushes they are not fussy eaters at all. Most nests will be colonized in Cherry or Oak. Spraying BT at the base of the trees to 2ft up on the most infected trees is all I would suggest. Most of these things should be done really early in spring or the season to be effective. Here on the east coast their season is just about up till the moth stage Ack! I hope this has helped in someway and trust me I am not an expert. I am only able to tell you from my experience. Chemicals can and will kill the butterflies and other necessary insects that are beneficial to your native environment if it is not used properly!!!!! All in all it is always alot of work and being consistent to the task has the best results. Good Luck!!

dj

Mid-Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5b)

Someone told me to put masking tape around the lower trunk of the tree and paint with Tanglefoot. Thus, when the cats climb up the trunk in the evening they get caught, or climb down in the am., they are caught. Tanglefoot doesn't wash off in rain. I plucked 13 cats off our two-year-old (only 6 ft. tall) Japanese maple, at which point I was in a panic. I don't want to use conventional pesticides since I want beneficials. I can remove the Tanglefoot when the GM cats' season is over.

candis

Beachwood, OH

What in the world is Tanglefoot Thus and where do you get it?
It doesn't sound very user friendly for me though - I have 2 acres of trees bordering a 50 acre preserve

Windham, NY(Zone 4b)

i have never used pesticides before this year. use any means possible to kill gypsy moth cats. have 5 60-80 ft maples , 2 apple trees, 3 30 ft red maples and 2 cherry trees in my yard and no shade. the caterpillars ate every leaf . it looks like spring hasn't even started up here in the catskills. and now we have the disgusting cacoons all over.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I drove 40 miles to Cape Cod yesterday and was shocked at the leafless trees. Our region has been plagued with 4 types of nasty caterpillars this season.

Tanglefoot is a greasy jell, in tubes sold in the garden/nursery stores. It works great but don't apply it directly to tree bark, it does not come off. Wrap duct tape around the tree and put the Tanglefoot on the tape. Remove the tape after caterpillar season.

I'm glad to say the caterpillar season is about over here. It was very bad this year.
Andy P

Kingston, MA

Andy............it certainly was and is so disgusting to see, we can only hope mother nature is sending a fungus to help reduce their numbers this year. I hear that from all the rain that is very very possible! We can only hope!

dj

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

dj, I drove through Kingston yesterday. What a shame, all the bare trees. It's not so bad around here.
Have you noticed all the dead GMs clinging to tree trunks? They died before they could pupate. No such luck with the Tent caterpillars, though.
Andy P

Kingston, MA

Yes it is a shame it was really bad here this year. Have to say I am glad so many did not have a chance to pupate!!!! Hoping this will reduce their numbers to. Yes the tent caterpillars are bad here as well................don't they go underground tho to pupate?

dj

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.