Question about broccoli

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I'm growing my first vegetable garden and I have a question about broccoli. When the heads are ready to pick is the plant all done? Do you pull it out or just cut the head and wait for it to grow another head?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Loon, brocoli will only produce a single head. However, there are some types that, once the main head is cut, will produce side shoots (mini-heads). "Green Comet" comes to mind but there are others that will do that as well.

So, why not just cut the main head and give your broc plants a chance and see how they do w/sideshoots.

Happy Growing!
Shoe.

Walpole, NH(Zone 5a)

Many broccoli plants will produce a good crop of side shoots with mini heads. Also the tender leaves are very nutritious. When I am down to the last picking of side shoots I will mix in a few leaves. Steam everything until tender, then combine with a can of condensed cream of celery soup in an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with some breadcrumbs and bake at 350 until top is browned.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh my! Benson, that sounds delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

(I'd even add the stalks, peeled. Yummy!)

Shoe.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Thank yo Shoe and Benson for your replies. I can't wait to try that recipe too!

Walpole, NH(Zone 5a)

If you're going to use the stalks make sure they are the small ones as the older ones can be tough. If I'm using some stalks I will steam them for about 15 min. then add the remaining broccoli with the leaves and finish steaming until tender. You can also use the little heads that are starting to flower, as they taste just as good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.