caring for pinks

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I have some perennial dianathus, low-growing pinks. I was given a flat by my local garden center owner because I gave her some brug cuttings. The next spring they started blooming and went on beautifully for about 6 weeks. She then told me i could shear them back and fertilize and they would bloom some more. I did what she said but apparently burned them badly. I lost some of them and others struggled to come back.
So, I am in the same situation again. They have finished blooming and I want to cut them back and fertilize them. How/what should I use? Should I sprinkle on top, side dress them or use a water-soluble fertilizer? I sure love these things and so does my spousal unit.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I rarely fertilize my pinks. If you insist, use a water-soluble fertilizer as that will not burn. Never let granular fertilizer touch the foliage.

Well, I really let them have it then. I often wonder why fertrilizer requirements aren't given more often when plants are sold. It's not even in the plantfiles here at DG, nor on most planting instructions when you receive a mail order plant. This includes most gardening books. Why can't they at least say that roses and brugs are heavy feeders?
I will cut them back and try a little Peter's Bloom. Thanks for the info.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2006 6:26 AM

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

They don't like acidic soil though. I added some lime to my mine and they did much better. That plus good drainage is all they need.

Victor

Oooooh! I have very acidic soil here. I'll add some lime and see what happens. Thanks for the heads up.

Council Bluffs, IA(Zone 4b)

I have had mine for three years and I have never fertilized them - the nursery I bought them from said they get burnt too easily When they get done blooming I cut them back to about 2-3" high and then they re-bloom like crazy! I usually cut them back 2 times in the summer and get 3 rounds of blooms!

Englishtown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow - mine never rebloom after I cut them back. I wonder why.

my soil here is very low in phosphates but high in acid. So I will probably have to encourage them a littlle.
mvespa, maybe you have the same problem since your are in the east like me.

Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

so how far do you cut them back/ mine are done blooming... and would love for them to bloom again?

Janis

hydrangea80 says back to 2 or 3 inches high. That's about what would be left after cutting all the bloom stalks off.

Council Bluffs, IA(Zone 4b)

I cut them back as soon as they have stopped blooming - before the stalks get really dry and brown - I hope yours rebloom as well as mine! I also have other varieties that do the same!

maybe I can remember to return to this thread if mine rebloom and post a picture.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.