Gardening is hard

Valdosta, GA(Zone 8b)

My first year and I've just about killed or lost everything. Seeds that didn't sprout, tomato worms that viewed my tomatoes and basil as an A.Y.C.E. buffet, calamondin that lost all of its flowers and, though isn't dying presently, isn't showing any new growth. And my precious cucumbers...I fought so hard for them, but they're dying and I don't know why. I used a large container, planted the variety suggested in the amount suggested, used good drainage and good soil. *sigh* At first it was so lush and beautiful. Then the brown scaly patches started and ravaged 1/2 of the leaves. So I sprayed with soapy water, and when that didn't work, switched to insecticide. That stopped the browning, but now all my leaves are turning yellow. And I think I used too much on my tomato plant b/c the morning after I sprayed and in the morning dew, it looked as if someone had peppered my plant with black paint. These black spots were all over the leaves, but had disappeared come morning. Then some of the branches turned a very dark green while others just curled up and died. Most of it is alright, but it's about as nicely balanced as Quasimoto.

I stupidly thought that if you grew plants in containers, you wouldn't have bug problems. I know, I know...silly thing to think. I also didn't realize they could get too much light, and too much fertilizer, and too much insecticide. Ugh, I'm gettin' a headache just thinking about trying to balance it altogether.

The only thing I seem to have success with is blooming plants and mint. My one petunia plant has had numerous fragrant blossoms everyday, and my other plant (look like tiny roses but they have succuclent looking leaves...really popular in hanging baskets I thnk) are doing well. Oh, and my mint is flourishing. In everything else I have failed miserably.

So I ask you, is gardening hard for anyone else? Or was it hard when you first started? Did you have failures your first time or did you just leap into it with a huge, green thumb?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think it's always hard when you start, and some plants and some climates are just harder than others so even experienced gardeners have problems. I think fruits and veggies are tougher to grow than regular blooming plants because there are all sorts of critters that think they taste yummy too. I think you learn a lot by trial and error and by reading as much stuff on DG as possible so you can learn from others mistakes too

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Actually, I have the other story, no it has not been hard, as a matter of fact I have had more than good luck (sorry). What I did NOT do was try to balance all the different fertilizers, bug-sprays etc. I just followed what I had learned from my mother and have had a "green arm" it seems, I only just started last year, and yes, I have had a few mishaps, but nothing huge, just a matter of too much rain or not enough. I have container tomatoes (BTW, they do NOT like anything on their leaves, water from below) and berries and they seem to thrive on my 8 x 10 deck. I have not used anything as far as bug sprays, I fertilize when I remember with MG (Tomato, Flower and Regular blue stuff). I am only getting into learning about fertilizers this year and those are for cacti and other tropicals. The planters and containers are exploding and only today do they look miserable due to heavy rainstorms the last two days. I think it can be confusing for new gardeners because there IS SO much information out there, I have a tendency to listen, learn and draw my own conclusions and so far it seems to have worked. Now one thing I DO have trouble with is the grass, I can't keep the lawn alive to save my life!
I am truly sorry to hear about your struggles, but, like ecrane said, read and learn and then figure out what works for you!

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

My problem was a move from Minnesota to Texas. All the flowers I loved struggled in this heat & humidity. The fruits and vegies took on a new perspective too. Put aside my desire for rhubarb and learned to love okra. The best hints are to learn from others, get passalong plants that do well in your area. Read, read and read some more. Always a challenge but fun. pod

Turlock, CA(Zone 9a)

pod said it best, don't give up, think of it as a 'learning experience'. Every year, month, and day I learn something new. Gardening should be FUN [with some other stuff too!] so just try to take it all with the grain of salt, learn from your mistakes and go on...Hopefully it will become alot more pleasurable for you!

Ashburn, VA(Zone 7a)

I have found that listening to other gardeners and reading up on the various plants helps. I recently bought Dr. Carolyn's book "100 Heirlooms for the American Garden" and the "Great Tomato Book" by Gary Ibsen and have found them both to be very helpful.

This year I planted Borage around all my tomato plants to try to deter the Hornworms. Last year was nasty. If that doesn't work, I have the BT ready.

I think every year you just get a little better at it. Just hang in there. : )

Upton, MA(Zone 5b)

I've actually had a hard year with my gardens so far. We've had over 22" of rain in Massachusetts just this month alone and it's too much for a lot of my plants. My lawn, which we reseeded in the fall and was coming along beautifully, is now turning bright, neon pink from a fungus that is growing because of the rain. I think there are more factors at work than just being new to gardening - sometimes mother nature is a little less than helpful!

Walpole, NH(Zone 5a)

I've made some pretty stupid mistakes in the past, and killed or maimed a lot of plants but every mistake was a learning experience.
Remember just to have fun and enjoy the unexpected suprises that come with gardening.

Fulton, MO

Kimcheebaby,

Calamondins, like Meyers, do not have a reputation as being the easiest container citrus to grow. I think a little ignorance helps some people trying to grow citrus, because it is easy to overthink and overgarden them. I would be happy to try to help by post or Dmail if you have questions specifically about the Calamondin.

SB

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Kimchee, is there anyone near you that you could turn to for gardening advice-someone that was new at this at one time and would not mind showing you, hands on, what the problems are or solutions to the problems? I just think it would be easier to get a person you could talk to in person, or even a person at a garden nursery that you could ask questions of-that you could bring a leaf into and ask?
I know its frustrating-but often what is a problem this month will not be the next month or the next season etc.

One last thing-always avoid overwatering-good soil and drainage or not. Get yourself some good slow release fert (make sure its slow release-not 10-10-10) and just use small handfuls-you can always go back and put more on later

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I started my first serious growing of plants in 1999. My first and only veggie garden was a BUST!!! But I can grow anything in a container. Long ago I started out with Miracle Gro Potting Soil and to this day use it in all my hanging baskets. For all the other containers I mix up my own soil and vary it depending upon what I'm growning. My begonias like it sandy, etc.

I accidently found a sure fire, water NOW indicator. I had 32 pots of Hibiscus trees (I always over do everything) and had no idea how often to water them, but first thing I would know they were seriously wilted, then I watered them so much root rot got one and I was sure that I was on my way to killing every last one of them. I then realized my Italian Large leaf basil was very sensitive to under watering. I planted this basil in every pot. From then on my Hibiscus trees, basil and I were happy!!

Might I suggest you include one of these plants in each of your pots until you have the "watering" down pat. Also it's hard to over fertilize if you use Miracle Grow plant food. I used it about every two weeks on small container plants until I learned better ways of doing it. I now use a little of this and a little of that.

Each day growing plants is a learning experience and you too will learn what works best for you, your area and what type of plants to grow. www.puppygal.com/judysgardenparty.html and also www.puppygal.com/house.html where you will see those 32 Hibiscus trees all around the porches in 1999

Ask questions of all these fine people here at DG, they won't mind at all. Also get a magnifying glass so you can closely inspect the leaves of your plants when you notice they are looking a little different. You will be able to see any insects, identify them on the Internet and take action before they destory your plants.

Judy

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Kimcheebaby,
These folks at DG will help you out. Just stick with it. Walk through your garden every day and observe your plants. They'll tell you what, where, when and how, if you just spend time observing them. Not every plant likes the same thing as every other plant. They each have their own temperament, so study them.

I'm a newbie who has a patio full of blooming plants. And this is my first year. My friends at DG are priceless. Oh, and DO remember to keep your subscription up!

Send personal D-mails if you feel reluctant to have to keep asking for help. We'll answer!
Linda

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Judy, you gave excellent advice, except where you say to put a plant that needs water alot in each of her containers as an indicator that she needs to water. Many plants like to be grown on the dry side and if Kimchee has those in her containers, then she would be watering to keep the basil happy, but her other plants might not be. I try to plant in containers flowers or plants that require the same amt of water, and to look at each cont as to whether it needs water or not. Sooner or later everyone gets the feel of whether something needs water by the amt of rain, cloud cover or full sun or temp that has occurred in the previous day. And also the tried and true method of just sticking your finger in the dirt a few inches to see the dryness of the soil!

Yes to all of the above and when your struggle with a plant is unsuccessful, just chalk it up to a no go. That is unless you dearly love it and want to try again. I have had some success on the reruns. Hang in there. I would say keep your chin up but with the rain, it sounds like you might drown.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i have noticed a BIG difference since i started using containers for my veggies. in the past my eggplants would be ravaged by insects which put holes into the leaves . now, since they are in containers and on my deck i have had no problem at all.

Herbie43 is that because you are paying closer attention to them, or is it the soil difference. Mine are being devoured in the garden spot. I can't see or find anything, maybe my glasses would help... pod

This message was edited Jun 28, 2006 7:20 AM

Fulton, MO

It has been said that watering misadventures are the number one killer of the container plant.

As I went around the greenhouse watering containers this morning, I thought of this thread. I tried to make a mental list of the factors I considered when deciding to whether or not to water a particular plant today.

1) knowing the plant...the succulents were watered 3 days ago, skip them; the lychee likes water about every day

2) observation of the plants appearance...is it sulking and wilted or is it happy?

3) check the soil... I stick my finger into the growing medium

4) temperature...how hot has it been and how hot will it be today?

5) sunlight...clouds in the forecast?

6) where is the plant in it's growth cycle?

7) how long has this plant been in this particular container?

I'm sure there are a couple more, can't remember right now. I suppose what gives someone a "green thumb" is that combination of knowledge of the plant, powers of observation, the ability to readily assimilate and integrate this information, and the willingness to learn from their mistakes. It is an exciting adventure.

SB

Santa Barbara, CA(Zone 10a)

Wow! I really identified with this thread. I think there should be a sticky about container watering, as it can be very complex. Anyway, I started gardening really seriously (obsessively?) about 10 years ago. I thought about putting a sign on the gate saying "gardening lab" as everything was an experiment for me. I killed a lot of plants before I got some of it right and now, I only kill a few a year, usually by overwatering (if a little is good, a lot is better?) So I try to look at each plant as an experiment. If I just garden to achieve an end-result, then I miss all the fun of experimenting and trying new things. Each day that I can, I wander the garden, studying each plant, making mental notes of what needs pruning, what is finished for now and needs cutting back, what needs to be moved the next time it goes dormant, what has issues, etc. I use this forum for a lot of the issues. Then, when it looks good or works, I give myself a pat on the back. And when something flops and dies, I look at it as an opportunity to free up the space for another "experiment". I enjoy my gardening much more that way.

Thumbnail by gardenerme

Really good thoughts, gardenerme. I too overwater and have paid the price. I am now a touching gardener. I feel the leaves, before I buy a plant. It will tell me if it will survive under my care. I feel them while growing and they will tell me when to water. This is partially why I like the scratch and sniff garden. I like plants which release their fragrance when I touch. I can't explain how I can do it by feel but I instinctively know. pod

Knoxville, TN

The best lesson I've learned in container gardening is not being afraid to fail. I can always bury my mistakes!
I hit a plant sale today and bought a dwarf juniper and a dwarf papyrus. Both say they need full sun which I can't give them but I really, really wanted them. I love the look of each of them.
So I'll give them the best spot I've got with as much sun as I can and hope for the best. I've found that a lot of plants will do well better than expected even if they don't have optimal conditions.
If they struggle too much, I'll take them to the next plant swap and give them to someone who will provide them with a proper home.
I think getting to know the plants as individuals is important. I can tell when they're drooping a bit or need some pinching back.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

podster - sorry for late reply. i am not paying more attention than when they were in the regular garden. i am having absolutely no prblems with the vegetable containers on the deck.

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

KimcheeBaby,

I only started to "really" garden last spring and have had mixed success. Powdery mildew got my squashes and cukes last year but I'm growing different varieties this year and they are growing like crazy. Last year, some of my tomatoes were eaten by hornworms, some turned yellow and died, and some just never set fruits. This year I know to be more vigilant and I started a whole bunch more seeds than I needed just in case I need extra plants.

You'll learn a lot from the good folks here at DG. And we all learn through trial and error. You'll learn to pick your plants (and battle). Just hang in there. There's still time for growing cool season vegetables.

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

My philosophy is 'never give up'. lol I've been gardening a long time but I still feel like a newbie. I've lost more plants due to weather, water/or lack of, and just mistakes in general than you can shake a stick at. I moved so many plants from one garden to another they probably felt like they were on a merry-go-round. I am just now finally seeing some real results from my labor and my garden experience. It's a wonderful thing to be able to come here to DG and get help from the garden veterans. I love gardening! It's such a joy when I see results. ;)

Lin

Lisbon, Portugal(Zone 10a)

Kimcheebaby, some of us know more than others (I'm with the less experienced bunch like yourself ;-) ), some get luckier, some plants seem to agree with ourselves and the environment better than others...

My gardenias are blooming after weeks of sufferind and discontent, I've just buried a lavender bush, and my cupressus are all twisted by ill pruning - not my fault, I didn't raise them - but I didn't know that before and now I know I'll have to do something about it... and to top it all, I lost six pelargoniums to a cute little green caterpillar, a few weeks ago - by the time I realized what was going on it was too late, they had eaten them from the inside out...

But like you, I delight over every bit of success! And mistakes mean that you have a blank canvas to start over again!

I guess that's why we are all here! Gardening is in our hearts, isn't it?

Don't be disappointed, given a little time you'll find that your successes are more than worth your sorrows! ;-)

I'm sure by now you'll have some good knews!!!!

Love

MyHiraeth

PS: great idea about the magnfying lens, Judy! I'll get one myself!

Dallas, TX

I remembered when I first started gardening I was buying and planting everything. I was in a hurry to know everything and I got a mass of books to prove it. In the first place half of the books I bought were not written by people who garden in Texas. Also I learned just because a catalog says this plant grows in your zone dont necesarly mean it will. There is this thing called a micro-climate zone. lol I also learned that all herbicides dont justify it means and you gonna have bugs of some sort regardless of what you do. I also learned not to try kilIing every bug, some are actually beneficial! learned that water is important, but you got to know when to water or how much. I learned after two or three trys in growing a plant, it just aint gonna work for you ... go on to something else ... I dont care what Paul James says! Gardening is like a crap game ... you win some ... you lose some ... and you learn!

Dont give up Kimchee!
Sylvia

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I've been gardening for 30+ years, and every year it's like Gardening 101 all over. Do I kill plants, overfertilize, underwater, plant the wrong plants in the wrong places? Every year! But meanwhile my garden gives me a lot of pleasure, and the gardening gives me a chance to work off the tensions of the day. Gardening is truly a work in process. One thing I don't do is post pictures of my mistakes, just of my successes. So if you were to look just at my pics, you'd think I was an expert.

Keep on keepin' on, kimchee, and joint the rest of us gardeners.

Judith

Well said Judith!

Dallas, TX

... lol ... same thing here Judith! Someone asked me how did I get everything to bloom at the same time.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

Some secrets for a perfect garden picture.

1) Get a garden magazine or book and scan pictures from them. Post them claiming that it's your garden. If everyone says that they saw the picture or the garden elsewhere, you can say, "Why, yes, my garden was inspired by that garden. An homage, if you will."

2) Just before you take the picture, throw beautifully grown potted plants at their peak (no silly, you don't grow them, you get them on sale at a big box store) wherever something has died and left a space.

3) Simply take a picture of the neighborhood green thumb's garden and post it. (see #1)

4) Use a soft focus filter on your camera. If you don't have one, gauze or vaseline would work. Voila, your garden is a beautiful impressionistic work of art.

But seriously, it's a great to take pictures of your garden. When I look at pictures, I see my garden through different eyes than when I'm actually out there in it. This helps me to edit a little bit better. Plus, as I look back at pictures from previous years, I can see whether or not I like the changes I've made.

CitySylvia, we should trade books! I've got a mountain of 'em from when I first started gardening. It's fun to look back over the old ones and see how far gardening has come in that time. The most valuable one for me in those early years was a Park seed starter book. Still grow seeds the same way. Oh, there are new technology that could set me back a few $$$, but basically the method's the same as it's always been.

Kimchee, have you bought any books yet??

Here's a photo from four years ago. We moved into our apartment six years ago, so this would have been the third garden attempt.

Thumbnail by revclaus

Here's one from today. More plants, better knowledge of what grows on my 20 ft. north-facing balcony, more experience in general.

Thumbnail by revclaus

The other end of the balcony from today.

Herpst, it's absolutely true about looking at the garden with my own eyes versus looking at the photo. I see things in the photo I would never have noticed by just looking. Yay for digital cameras!

Thumbnail by revclaus
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I recently was re-reading the book that got me started, "The Well-Planned Garden". http://davesgarden.com/gbw/c/2035/ It's a book of garden bed design plans with instructions for planting and maintenance. It was my bible then, and I diligently followed all of the instructions as best I could, without any real knowledge about what I was doing.

I had pretty good success, mostly because I did the double digging to prepare the bed, I think.

But in looking at the book again, I was struck by how much I have learned since then. Some of what the author wrote I don't agree with now. And I noticed that she makes no reference to planting zones in the plant selections. Good thing what was suggested for the most part fit my climate. Imagine the failures if the book was written for a very different climate and I didn't realize it.

Of course it's nice to feel validated for what I've learned over the years. But like many other subjects, it shows how very much more there is to learn.

Gardening is hard in many ways. And for me, it was hard to avoid getting overly frustrated or even take it "personally" when something failed to thrive or critters destroyed something. I've struggled with that, and I'm actually getting to a point where I can feel just fine with deciding to move a plant or even (gasp!) tossing it.

Lots of challenges. Lots of rewards. Makes for a good way to spend time, eh?

w

This message was edited Aug 18, 2006 2:14 PM

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Either you love gardening despite the challenges (drought, torrential rain, bugs, animals, kids, neighbors, hot, cold, etc.) and continue growing and learning because it is a challenging and rewarding hobby, or you hate gardening in which case you wouldn't even take the time reading anything that remotely suggests gardening (let alone DG).

There is nothing perfect in the world and gardening is no exception. I'm sure it vexes even the professionals (they just have a lot more experience because their livelihood depends on having the knowledge, experience, and setup to grow things a lot better than the hobbyist).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.