Tomato Question

West Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Apropos this thread http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/617266/

If you have a bunch of tomato blossoms in a cluster, can you remove some of the blossoms to get larger fruits from the remaining ones?
Thanks!
Larisa

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Removing some of the blossoms might result in fruit that's a bit bigger, but each variety is genetically predisposed to produce a certain sized fruit. You might get some that is in the larger end of the spectrum, but with good watering practice and proper food, your tomato should produce close to that anyway.

For the giant 'competition' tomatoes, people remove all of the flowers and fruit except one, but this is on varieties that are supposed to produce giant tomatoes anyway.

Personally, I think you get more poundage per plant when nature is left to go as it is intended, but some will swear by thinning fruit for bigger tomatoes.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Thank you for your insoght Melody! One always wonders - but this one couldn't bring herself to remove the flowers even if that were the case!

I say let Nature bring 'em on!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

sequee is the kind of gardener that, if a flower fell off her plant she would start gluing them back on again.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Don't be absurd ! (That's what needle and thread's for!)

West Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

hee hee.. I love that image!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

thats funny, my dw doesn't own a sewing basket.

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

NO sewing basket??? Mine does!!!

LD

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I have 2 sewing baskets and 3 sewing machines!!......and will inherit 3 more machines from my mom someday,,(all different models).....I also have a 'sewing closet'...(she who dies with the most fabric wins)

I have a 'seed closet' too.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.