??? Non-blooming Endless Summer???

Plaistow, NH

I bought 3 potted "Endless Summer' this season from 3 different places at different times. 2 of the bushes are blooming beautifully and are smaller then the one that isnt blooming. Healthy green foliage. Is this normal or do you think I got duped for a Nikko that dies back all the way in New Hampshire without winter protection, so it doesnt bloom. I am heartbroken. I do wish I could remember which place that I got them at. Any thoughts will be appreciated............thanks....Maryann

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I wouldn't necessarily give up on it, I've bought a lot of plants that haven't bloomed in the first year I had them. If you'd gotten all 3 hydrangeas from the same place at the same time I'd be a little more concerned that it wasn't the same type as the others, but it's entirely possible that the 3rd one had some different cultivation even before you got it that made it not ready to bloom this year. Or if you planted it at a different time that could have an effect...maybe the other two already were starting to form buds when you planted them so they went ahead and bloomed but this one maybe didn't have buds yet and decided to put its energy toward root and top growth instead (which is actually a better thing for a newly planted plant). Or is it planted in a slightly shadier place...I had a Shamrock that I planted in too much shade and it didn't bloom, but as soon as I moved it to a little sunnier place it did fine.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can tell just by looking at leaves whether you have Endless Summer or Nikko, so if you can remember where you got it and want to send it back just in case it's not the plant you wanted by all means do that, but otherwise I would give it a chance and see what happens next year.

Council Bluffs, IA(Zone 4b)

I just planted two Endless Summer hydrangeas this summer and they are both blooming like crazy. I am feeding them with Miracle Grow - acid loving formula. I also have them in acidic soil and water deeply every day. Maybe a good feeding would help them along?! Good luck! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.