Need Help! Beans being attacked.

Benton City, WA(Zone 6a)

I'm about to go out and replant my green beans. My first planting was done in yogurt cups with the bottom taken out. That didn't work. I pulled up the cup that had no beans growing in them (which was 90%) and most had germinated but were eaten before they broke the surface. I know we have cutworms and earwigs. I'm going to plant another variety, those were Blue Lake bush (75% of my beans planted were Blue Lakes) these will be nickel bush. I planted about 5 varieties of heirloom beans and they are all doing much better then the Blue Lake. Except now something is eating them too. I plan on putting tuna cans out full of beer for the earwigs and using something else to control the bugs that are eating them after they emerge. Do any of you have any other suggestions?

Thanks, Sagewood.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

You are in the same zone as I am but I am unsure if it gets as hot there. It has almost been too hot here already for my beans to set on. I have had very good luck growing fall beans though. It wouldn't quite be time here to start fall beans. I start those around the first of August directly seeded in the ground and covered with a mulch to keep the row dampened. I had trouble this spring myself with my first planting due to about three weeks of monsoon type weather I believe. Three fourths of them just plain didn't come up and I replanted. The second planting is just now blooming and setting on but within a couple of weeks they will be done for due to the high heat.

Channing, MI(Zone 3a)

sagewoodfarm: I put out parasitic nematoes from Gardens Alive each spring to minimize the cutworms. Each year the result gets a little better and the carrots stop looking like deformed fingers.
BUT - I planted soybeans, blue lakes and black turtles about 19 days ago and NOTHING has sprouted. Got any ideas? Suggestions? Should I replant? are we waiting for the soil to get warm enough? nights are still in the 40s here and some days don't get warmer than 60.
Advice?

Benton City, WA(Zone 6a)

Fiorenza,
I've thought about using nematoes but have heard you have to get an awful lot of them to have any affect. The neigbor seems to have a nice crop of beans, even though they said they have earwigs too.

Vashur,
They are saying the temperature next week will get in the high 90s and into the low 100s. So maybe its too late to plant anymore. I've never planted fall beans, peas yes, maybe I'll try that.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

sagewood.. Our first frost in the fall is around the third week of October usually. When I plant for fall, I usually plant the first week of August or thereabouts. I've only done this when I had a crop failure for one reason or other in the spring. It is harder to get them to germinate in the heat here since they dry out so easy but it works.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

sagewood,

I used to have the same problem with my beans in NH. There was a small worm eating out the heart of the seed before it could sprout. Try sprinkling Rotnone (spelling?) on the seed before you bury them, I had good results doing this.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

I wouldn't if I were you, Big_Red.

Extension Toxicology Network - Pesticide Information Profiles - "A Pesticide Information Project of Cooperative Extension Offices of Cornell University, Oregon State University, the University of Idaho, and the University of California at Davis and the Institute for Environmental Toxicology, Michigan State University. Major support and funding was provided by the USDA/Extension Service/National Agricultural Pesticide Impact Assessment Program.

EXTOXNET primary files maintained and archived at Oregon State University

Revised June 1996
http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/rotenone.htm
----------------
Factsheet - Rotenone: http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Actives/rotenone.htm
----------------
Rotenone: From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotenone

~* Robin

Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

NatureWalker-- Uh, not sure what you mean but the articles you cited say that rotenone completely breaks down in the soil within 5 to 6 days.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes, but the handling of it, may get in the nostrils, eyes & mouths, on clothing, gloves & other garden utensils that you handle.

~* Robin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.