Is this solomon's seal anyone? Thanks

Kingston, MA

Hi, I have the growing wild in a few area's my best guess so far is it is solomon's seal? What do you think? Thanks

Dj

Thumbnail by djsgarden101
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Dj, I'm disoriented looking down on it, but I'm pretty sure its not. Where do you live that you keep finding unique plants in your yard? How cool! I really liked that lily looking one.

Kingston, MA

Hi Dave ..............I am in Kingston, Massachusetts and thanks. Ahhhh the only one I try to name myself and I am wrong Argh! Here are a few more pics. See what ya think!

dj

Thumbnail by djsgarden101
Millbury, MA(Zone 5a)

Okay, I'm no expert, but it sure does look like Solomon's Seal to me. We have False Solomon's seal growing here and the leaves look very similar, but the flowers are nothing like what you have. I've seen some pics of the real thing on the Coffee and... thread in the Parking Lot Forum and they look just like yours.

Kingston, MA

Hi Mc Cool..............thanks I sure hope it is .............it is gorgeous whatever it is. I have quite a bit of it growing freeling in one area of the yard under trees. Thanks I will try a search her at Dave's and see if I can pick up any threads about it.

dj

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Maybe its a different kind. This is what I think of as solomon's seal:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/76733/
The flowers all hang under the stem.
But I agree, its a keeper.
Dave

Kingston, MA

Hi Dave........................yes it is a dwarf or smaller version that only grows to 3 feet. All flowers are under but it is hard to tell because it is sprawling on the ground. I was concern it might need staking or some nutrient for strength, but I can't make any amendments until I am sure it is solomon's seal. Beautiful no matter what it is and thanks for the links..............they would be a great companion planting it seems to propagate freely by runners underground I think as it has spread some distance and sprouted nicely.

dj

Fredericton N B, Canada(Zone 4a)

Dont worry about amending you soil. it will take overand doesnt need staking it grows under pine treesin
dry shade along with lily of the valley and ajuga none ofthem were plant but migrated from my prev garden.
they allcome up thru the pine needles.

Kingston, MA

aged.............thanks for the information and advice it is sincerely appreciated !

dj

Kingston, MA

This might be bladder campion! Been researching it so much I am going crosseyed lol.

dj

Windham, NY(Zone 4b)

i don't know what that is called but it has infested my gardens. pull it out!!! save yourself while you still can.

Kingston, MA

LOL Eric it is really bad stuff huh? Now I am scared!

dj

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

This is Solomon seal the way I know it

Thumbnail by Maria
Beachwood, OH

DJ - thats not Solomons Seal. Maria has the real deal in her pic. Even what is called False Solomons Seal - or Smilicina has a hanging flower along the underside of the stem. Must be another wild flower. If you search on the following link to an online wildflower guide maybe you can ID.

http://www.realtimerendering.com/flowers/flowers.html

Kingston, MA

Thanks Maria and alyrics.................It is bladder campion. It is a wildflower and can be invasive if given the opportunity.

dj

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.