How fast can a canna increase?

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

This is Canna " Butterscotch Sundae" a year ago when it bloomed from seed for the first time it had two shoots on it.One year later it has increased to almost 300 shoots on about 35 plants and it KEEPS increasing.I keep dividing it and a few weeks later whatever pot it goes into is full of shoots again.this is the flower, the plant looks so much like a heliconia or a ginger than a canna .I use it for displays because of the foliage appeal.The blooms are a bonus. This one is really the rabbit of the canna world.30 inch height.

Thumbnail by Eclipse
Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

this is a pot full, one of many, I have also planted out many clumps in planters.

Thumbnail by Eclipse
Butte, MT

That is an absolutely gorgous canna. I would love to send you postage for some for my Moms Memory Gardenif you would like and have too many :). I just received my first canna and love the foilage. I have to bring it in in the winter, but I sure hope it will reproduce for me. Take care
Heather
loves2plant

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

I like the color of that one, and the foliage is great being more upright. You can squeeze more pots in around it for a fuller lush look.

Orlando, FL

I like it too and would love to have some want to trade for another variety. Tall or dwarf??? I think its a helicona. Fran
If you dont want to trade I can send postage .

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

You have lots of takers!! Include me too. I can send postage.

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Pretty one Kyle!

I got a new one this year from Harvey's. It was labeled "Black Canna from Australia" and has very dark foliage with a bright red bloom.

However, our terrible winds have really beat it up. :(

a

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

This one when put outside does well with the wind, guess because of the clumping.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Kyle,
It should do very well in water situations, too.
Obvious it has that trait in it's genetics.
~Alice

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.