Concrete Containers

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

I typically just lurk in these forums and feel a little silly asking this question. Remember, I am VERY new to gardening! I have three large concrete containers that do not have drainage holes. They are fairly deep and because of their shape it would be impossible to drill a hole into them. Any suggestions other than a drop in container? Can I plant into them directly? Thanks!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I would take a look at this thread for some suggestions:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/611845/

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

The thread mentioned addressed indoor plants. Mine are outdoor containers. Does that make a difference? (Remember I am a new gardener!)
:)

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The plant suggestions wouldn't be valid, but the ideas about generally how to plant things in a container without holes are still good.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I'm not positive, but I think the concrete will "bleed" the water, so you'd probably be ok. I do know that the concrete pot I have seems to suck the water big time. My suggest would be to plant them with stones or styro peanuts on the bottom. I don't know how big your containers are, but the one I am using is very large. I have about 3-4" of the styron and sand on the bottom of mine. I use a water meter and test it daily. If it says dry, I water. If it says moist, I let it be.

What are you planning on planting in them?

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the input! The pots are pretty large and are a odd size which is why I was looking to be able to plant directly into them. I haven't been able to find a liner that fits. I heard that putting stones in the bottom would work, but couldn't find anyone that had been successful. I honestly didn't have any thoughts on plants and had hoped that someone could give some ideas. Loved the pictures of the garden hose container posted on the site. As I said earlier, I am very new to gardening, the pots are really beautiful and wanted to put them to use!

Dallas, TX

KD can you post a picture of the container? I would love to see it since you say its different ... I love planters. ..and have you decided what you are going to plant in it? Some plants require more or less water that others. ie Cannas ... I dont put holes in the bottom of my Canna Pots because Cannas are marginal and could handle water and drought.
Sylvia

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the tip Sylvia. I have a pl;anter that just will not drain - no matter how many holes we put in the dang thing...I think it will become home to one of my many canna! Whoo-hoo!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.