Wheelchair Garden Bed Designs

Hollywood, FL

If anyone has garden beds that would work for a wheelchair feel free to post them too.

I was just visiting another thread and notice some requests. My elevated beds were inspired by a picture I saw in Sq. Foot Gardening. I realized such a bed would be easy to tend to and easy on the back.

In the book they raised a box made of wood. I used 24" drainage pipe and cut it in half, then a frame was built for them to rest in.

Thumbnail by Cowpea
Hollywood, FL

Another pic:

Thumbnail by Cowpea
Hollywood, FL

I have grown cherry tomatoes and cucumber and let them cascade over the sides. I have also grown snap peas and snow peas, carrots, and zucchini.

I have one reserved for herbs. In the others I mainly grow lettuces and Asian greens and Mesclen mixes.

I am not in a wheelchair but this is a design that wheelchairs could easily fit under or be appropriate for anyone with limited mobility. They are absolutely beautiful when planted- so flowers would also work well if you are into flower gardening.

(I can't figure out how to do this without all the multiple posts.)

Hollywood, FL

Here is what they look like empty.

Thumbnail by Cowpea
barrington, IL(Zone 5a)

what a wonderful idea. are those culverts and how do you cut them in half? i assume there are drain holes.....how big and how far apart are they spaced?

Hollywood, FL

I am not sure if these pipes are known as culverts or not. I just call them drainage pipes.

They cost me $80 --At first I thought that was alot but upon reflection I realized that wasn't bad as they were 10 feet long and 24" wide and made 2 long raised elevated beds. I had made an all-wood bed and that doesn't last--these will last forever.

Some come with drainage holes already / some need to be drilled. They cut easily with a saber saw. I cut 'ends' out of plywood and cover with plastic.

These 'pipe' beds were 'free' gotten at a construction sites where they were throwing pieces away. They were 36" wide. We cut them into lengths about 2 feet high--I have about 10 of these.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2006 5:48 PM

Thumbnail by Cowpea
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Great idea, Cowpea! Various friends have used the barrels that cattle protein feed comes in - not as large as what you have, but a similar application. Those barrels had been metal but are now plastic. Probably won't last as long but they're generally available at almost no cost.

Eugene, OR

These are the best raised beds I've seen. Do you happen to have plans for them (with actual measurements)? I think these are incredible, and would love to make some for my partner and people in my community, if only I knew how.

Hollywood, FL

Lupe, Sorry I didn't come back to this thread sooner. I don't have any plans but I will look for more pictures and takes a few measurements

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I just bought square foot gardening looking for ideas when I stumbled over your design. I would love to have your measurements, too, as I'm switching to raised beds for next year.

Lupe, my husband works in plumbing and said these are corregated pipe, 24 inch diameter.

Eugene, OR

Thanks for the info, Cathy. If you have any more pictures or measurements, Cowpea, I'd be grateful for them.

you are welcome lupe, if my son builds one before cowpea gets back to us, I'll have him write measurements. I have long skinny parts of my yard with sun, these will fit in perfectly. I'm going to have him make them just the right size to use from a chair, without falling out, lol.

Cowpea, I didn't ask before, but what kind of soil did you put into your raised beds? My son has promised to build as soon as the weather breaks, he works outside all day and just doesn't want to work out all evening too. Can't blame him, I'd be dead if I had to be out in this heat all day. We hit 100 last two days, not counting the humidity, and it is expected to last another week. YUK! The only thing I did outside was to turn on the sprinkler. Thanks!

Edisto Island, SC(Zone 8b)

has anyone else built these? i'd love to see more pictures if anyone has them...this is a great idea!

Columbia, SC(Zone 7b)

regarding those that have no one to help build such gardens:
If any of you have a Boy Scout troop nearby, this sort of project for an Eagle Scout would be great. If you have a church, recreation center, school, or Sr. center that they could build it at, they would be able to do it. They cannot do it for an individual or a commercial site, it must be a community or non-profit.

Contact your local Boy Scout Council (Girl Scouts may have something similar, but I just work with BSA) and have them put the word out to local units.

If you are an individual in need, though, the boys in the Boy Scout Troop (not as an Eagle project) can help you build something, possibly as part of the Disability Awareness Merit Badge.

If you need contact info, please see the www.scouting.org website, check your phone book, or call a local church. If you have questions about whether or not your project might qualify as an Eagle Project, send me a D-mail and I will try to answer your questions or direct you to the right place.

Cheers
Lorie in SC

This message was edited Nov 26, 2008 12:09 AM

to cowpea...i don't know if you are still around on this forum but...thank you for posting your pics of these planters...my husband jim was so excited to build these and i just wanted to post a pic for you...virginia

Thumbnail by virginbred

one more...

Thumbnail by virginbred
Kerrville, TX

Here is a similiar item in case you dont have facilities for self construction. Tractor Supply Company has many stores scattered around through the states.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_28405_-1______14602%7C14610%7C28405?listingPage=true&Special=false

jay...THAT is a great idea!! thanks for the link...have you heard of anyone using them for planting instead of feeding stock??? would love to know how well it works...my geese, chickens, and peacocks have given my garden a hard time...i'm looking forward to actually getting to eat some of the veggies i've planted this year...my husband also built a new chicken coop/garden for this years garden area...so far so good...i got the idea from the internet...

Thumbnail by virginbred

one more

Thumbnail by virginbred
Kerrville, TX

Now that looks nice.........such excellent workmanship. Makes me plumb ashamed of myself.

Lovely, very nice.

thanks cathy...i've got the planters filled with compost and coconut coir...can't wait to see them filled with veggies...and maybe a flower or 20...

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

I don't know how tall your raised beds are. But if you could throw a bale or two underneath, you could vine out melons or squash. I adapt to my wheelchair with hay bales. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/strawbale/all/

thanks for the idea 2nd...do you think having these planters on concrete would be a problem using the hay bales? i would think the heat might be to much...what are your thoughts...virginia

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

The heat would be good - it would keep the bale moist & composting and melons love the heat. They do phenomenal here in the desert where its over 100 degrees daily for months. Anyway - you have nothing to lose but a $10 bale and some dirt & seeds! If it doesn't work - you have mulch.

so true...i will take measurements today.to see if the bales will fit under these containers...i already have my melon seed...i also thought that the drainage from the containers would help the bales through the summer...virginia

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Wow - saves water too - we may be onto something here! Just not sure if its great melons or great mulch :P

Hollywood, FL

Rejoined Dave's Garden after a long absence. From Cowpea to Roysmom. I totally forgot about this thread and was surprised to see it.

Virginbred, those look wonderful but you will need a middle brace. I tried to find a pic to show how it was done. You may already realize it by now. Sorry I left DG or I would have told you sooner.

A long board goes lengthwise across the bottom , anchored with metal hanging straps on each end. THen there is a leg that goes in the middle. I had built elevated boxes totally out of wood before but for this I had a friend come up with a design and built it as it needed a board along the bottom too. Otherwise the middle will sag.

Thumbnail by roysmom
Hollywood, FL

another shot

Thumbnail by roysmom

cowpea! /roysmom...so glad you came back! i have had so many compliments on your planters...everyone who sees them wants them...they have been a real back saver for me...my dear sweet husband, who built these from your photos and measurements sent via email here on daves, did not put the center support but instead drilled screws all the way down the length of the black drainage pipe on both sides into the length of the side wood pieces...i haven't had any problems with weight and sagging...

he built 4 to start with and loved them so much he built 4 more...i love them and all the credit goes to you!

we've already harvested broccoli, cauliflower, and romaine lettuce...we are now getting squash, zucchini, cucumbers, bush beans, cabbage and strawberries, several types of peppers as well as herbs...yet to be harvested are carrots, beets, snow peas, watermelon and butternut squash and onions!!!

harvesting and tending is a JOY!!!

Thumbnail by virginbred

I know it isn't good to be jealous, but wow, I want some. My son was going to build some but got a job in Colorado and moved in short notice. They look wonderful.

cathy...you are not alone in the jealousy role...like i said anyone who has seen them wants them...i've had several men bring their wives by to have a look see...the ladies walked away dragging their husbands to get supplies! and planting with coconut coir lessens the weight considerably...also helps with germinating seeds...i do have these filled with a combination of potting soil and coconut coir...having them totally filled with coir was cost prohibitive but i do love that coir...

I have about 50 feet of sunny fence line, hardly any other sun in the yard. These would be perfect since my husband doesn't like stuff up against the bottom of the fence, needs that weed whacker fix.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

wow!!!!! seeing this brings joy to my heart. I haven't been able to have a veggie garden in 10 yrs. I just showed it to DH. Might be a project for him next summer lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.