Morning Harvest

Henderson, NV(Zone 8b)

Now you all know why I've been asking for squash recipes....My neighbors are starting to avoid me....LOL....and I only have 2 plants.

Thumbnail by faronell
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Nice looking squash! Wish I was your neighbor! Nice looking knife on the counter behind them too!

Henderson, NV(Zone 8b)

Thank you, my DH will be glad you noticed his knife. Please share any recipes for new ways to cook the squash....

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Check out this thread from a while ago - I got some good recipes from this one!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/603512/

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

2... Hmmm, i have 20 summer squash and 90 winter squash plants. LOL But with that many i can pick them really young and tiny (extra yummy) and still have way more than enough for us and our extended family. Try picking a bunch when they are only two inches or so (flower will still be attached) stuff the flower with ricotta cheese and herbs, batter them and fry. If you are interested in the specifics let me know, i'll post a recipe i have, but you can do it to taste however you like.

Henderson, NV(Zone 8b)

Bring on the recipes....Yeah! I printed the ones from the link and willing to add more. Tombaak, where in NV are you....I'm in "old" Henderson, just out of Las Vegas.....

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

I am just outside Carson City. I'll find that recipe and post it.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

oooh! look at the size of those squash! Perfect for stuffing and baking.
If your neighbors are running away, you may want to start some squash obedience training. Just as puppies need continual reinforcement of their obedience training to remain good canine citizens, so it is with summer squash.

Yes, you can let them run wild and be deluged with their offspring. Or.....you can pick the squash while small enough to pan fry whole, and pick some of the squash blossoms to cook for an addtional treat. Decide how many squash you want to harvest, then start picking the blossoms to delay the creation of more fruit. The blossoms are tasty and nutritious too.

Edgewood, NM

I harvested to brocolli plants, three cauliflowers and a bunch of snow peas. My tomatoes have wilt, I think and I'm going to have to destroy them. Everything else is moving slow in the garden, but since the monsoons started here in NM, things might change. Gardening in NM is challenging, at least.

Henderson, NV(Zone 8b)

The ONLY way I can give away the squash now is to include a recipe with it...LOL
We've been frying it (a little butter and parmesan cheese) at work for lunch and its delicious.....

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

What kind/brand of knife is that? Looks handmade - Japanese?

I still like the baked squash with onions, sour cream and cheese. That is the southerner in me!
-Kim

Henderson, NV(Zone 8b)

Yes, the knife is made in Japan...It is a KAI signed "Shun"...My DH bought it at Williams Sonoma...It's an excellent slicer. He recently bought a Santoku (spelling) from the same line.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Hi mystree,
I am a gardener from Los Alamos. I have had to pull 3 tomato plants from wilt or something. They just kept looking worse and worse, while the rest looked better and better. I always keep some extras and pop them in, if some go bad. If the new ones go bad, you know that soil is polluted with some virus or mold and you should plant something not even related ther -- peas, onions, cabbage, broccoli.
You are doing well, though, if you have already harvested broccoli, cauliflower and snow peas. Maybe you could put in some new ( fresh from the greenhouse) cherry tomatoes to make up for the tomatoes you lost.
Thank God for the monsoons. We got somewhere between 1/2 inch and 1 inch here yesterday. Unfortunately, the hail was also about 2 inches deep. Looked like Christmas.
Stay in touch. We have a lot in common.

Spencer, TN

when i grew 2 acres of it i had a number of oddities, pumpkins and several crosses, one was just like the yellow straitneck but HUGE, even at very young and tender. we ate it but it was so big it would make several meals.
the easiest thing we could do was slice and fry them with batters of what ever kind can be invented. of course we sold about $7500 worth wholesale but we ate as much of the unsellable ones we could and gave away as much as the neighbors would take. i think we ate little else for 2 months. i was hauling away a ton at a time in half bu boxes.

Henderson, NV(Zone 8b)

I can't imagine doing acres of "anything" but maybe thats because of the climate I live in.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.