How long for tomatoes to ripen?

Valdosta, GA(Zone 8b)

Cause I posted a picture of my fruit on the 9th of this month when it reached full size, and it still hasn't ripened. Do some tomato plants wait until a lot of fruit have reached full size and ripen at once, or is my plant just weird.

It's a cherry variety, though I can't remember the name off hand, and there are quite a few fruit on it...with at least 6-8 fruit at full size...and several of those have been at full size for several weeks now. What's up with this?

Kimchee, it depends on what kind of tomatoes you are growing and when you planted them. I have an early yellow fruiting and ripening now. Just the first bunch are ripening, the rest which started to form a week or so later are still very green. The Green Zebra had one ripe fruit, now all green and not mature... a Striped Marvel is just making fruits now (all grown and planted at the same time...) Burbank has HUGE tomatoes on the vines and they are completely green. I planted Sweet 100 about a month later so it only just started to flower, let alone fruit.

If you know the name of your tomato you can look up the seed germination information online with a google, and often it will list "days to maturity". Someone might have even posted it on the DG plantfiles!

Hope that helps,
GGG

Missouri City, TX

All of us get concerned about when the fruit will ripen, but once they start to turn, the process really speeds up. Giving away more than we are using now.

The grapes were first, then the yellows, next an heirloom "Anne Russian", and finally a beefsteak. All had blossums and fruit within a week or so of each other.

The beefsteak took over a month from full size fruit to begin to get color. Checked the seed package - 80-90 days, so I should not have been surprised.

Spencer, TN

sometimes when a plant is too anionically inclined it will be slow to ripen fruit, if it's that way earlier too bad, it can cause blossom drop. the cure is a little acid added, usually along with a little nitrogen in the amonia form, with some sugar of some kind to help prevent leaching if ya get too much rain. (or just for a little carbon to help it all work better)
in small scale, a half cup ea of houshold amonia, vinigar, and molassas, in a gallon of water. Water the plants with it and it'll give a boost to the fruit setting and ripening process. I've used white sugar but molassas is better for the extra minerals it carries.
(but if sugar is cheaper, use it)
large scale i side dress with single super phosphate, amonia sulphate, and feed grade molassas. (however if calcium is below 2000 lb-ac soluble i leave out the super phosphate.)
the time a plant takes to mature the fruit is relative to the energy it has to grow on, the stated days to maturity is average, I know a man that was fooling with soil energies and got beans to grow from seed to the first picked beans in 17 days. (a soil scientist) one of the rules of the plant he came up with was; "osmosis is not limited by time" (I met him once when i was about 10yo, but didn't know how good he was with plants at the time. That was when my mom took my baby brother to him to try and figure out what was wrong, his info saved my brothers life. he died about '86, but i have a whole bunch of old audio tapes with him on them.)
After diggin through all the stuff i could find of his teaching, then talking to an ag university professor, it really suprised me how ignorant the professor was about soil and fertility science.
foolin with plants can really be interesting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.