thornless blackberry bush

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

I have rec'd a thornless blackberry bush as a test product. Right now it is in a small dixie cup. (how it came) I have never grown one of these before. Can they be grown successfully in a container? Any ideas and tips on growing this would be greatly appreciated. We have some wild blackberry bushes here where I work and I do not want this in my yard. They're unruley! I am hoping I can grow it in a container. Thanks for any advice!
Dawn

Chesapeake Beach, MD

I imagine it would do ok in a container, but don't skimp on the container size -- do a minimum of 5-10 gallons.

The thornless varieties sucker a bit, but they don't begin to approach the marauding monsters that the wild blackberries are. I wouldn't be too concerned about just planting it.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Are you testing it for National Gardening Club? I have done a couple small items for them, waiting for something really big and impressive. LOL.

Our thorned blackberries ramble all over the place. Find Cuckoo and ask him. He raises both types.

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Yes I am testing for Nat'l Home Gardening Club. I keep hoping one day I'll get that huge lawnmower to test out! LOL
I really don't want to do this one. I dont even like them. That's why I was thinking of trying this in a pot. But, I can't just let it die you know.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hopefully you will be testing the famous "Doyle thornless blackberry". (How coincidental if so, eh?)

If it's a Doyle you'll get about 20 gallons of berries off one plant! Very sweet and are not so rambling as the wild plants.

Did they give you a name of it? Just curious.

Shoe.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

20 gallons!!! Wow. I have three Triple Crowns that are in their third spring and loaded up but no where close to that. I had thought about finding a place for some of those new varieties but mayhap I should look in to Doyle?

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Yes it is Doyles Thornless Blackberry Bush. I thought it was a joke at first. (Doyle) Then I remembered getting my notification about testing a blackberry bush. We'll see

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I grow a thornless, (Chester) it does not sucker. However it does take root at the tip of the extra long (18 feet) canes.
I've heard of the Doyles, it's on my list.
Dawn, plant it.
Andy P

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Well, it looks like it's going in the ground tomorrow. 18 feet canes!?! I guess I'll need to put at the back of our property so it won't be in the way. What am I getting into?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

pdoyle..no, the Doyle thornless only exhibits 7 foot canes, not 18 ft. ( I think you were reading Sarahskeeper info about her Chester berry.)

The Doyle berry has been around for years and is simply wonderful. Here is a link to much more info. I think you are blessed to have rec'd this one, pdoyle. Enjoy!
http://www.fruitsandberries.com/

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Thank you horseshoe. I hope it does well. Thanks for link!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.