jm from seed

Montross, VA

I would like the names of those nurseries, in VA, that grow jm from seed.
thanks/john

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Why would you want this info If I may be so rude...seed grown JM's are not desirable since they can turn into anything ...if ya want info on how to grow by seeds google it up there is PLENTY of info on it...If ya want seed grown JM's called seedlings.... there are MANY places on the net or ebay where ya can get 'em cheap or you can get ripped off and pay too much for basically a possibly nice or not nice generic tree ... BTW I have nothing against seedling trees I am NOT an elitist ( well maybe I am) but buying one ...unless it's four or more years old is like going to vegas ...you place youse bet and youse take your chances!!!David

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Well, hey, David, maybe you are being a bit hard on him! Often, someone is advised to get a "seedling" rather than a "grafted" maple, but if you didn't know where to mail order from (I don't), you might want to find one local so you can go and eyeball it and see what it looks like. Do you have a good mail order source?

John, you are just up the highway from me. Why are you looking for a seedling? My old boss used to yank those puppies up from his yard at his old house and pot them up for friends and neighbors. I have seen very reasonably priced "named" maples at the box stores such as Home Depot if you are looking for a good deal. Also, there is a very nice lady named Della who sells very reasonably priced young trees about 2-3 ft tall via mail order. If you go to her web site, she has a list of available types which you can look up here in the Plant files for info on color, height, fall color, etc. She will take a photo or two if needed and email them to you and if you see one you like, ship it to you very nicely packaged. Saves a lot of gas running around looking for a nice maple. Are you looking for something in particular? I don't have one, but the upside to seedlings is they seem to be very hardy..if you have a friend with a maple such as my old boss, you might be able to get one for free. You may need to ask around. Seeklings are unpredictable, as David pointed out, so if you have an idea of what you want in terms of color and height/spread, the folks here may be able to recommend a named/grafted variety.

Here is a link to Della's site.

http://nurserygirl1.tripod.com/

Hey, I just realized she is in Virginia, Lol! I don't think she raises her own, though she is a small business! Guess that explains why my 'Omure Yama' got to me so fast!

Laura

This message was edited Jun 24, 2006 6:57 PM

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Hey, David, take it easy on John - You know I'm going to have to take you on with this one. You know how much I love my seedlings. Admittedly they are a gamble.

Here's a guy who sells seedlings, John.

http://japanese-maple.com/

I have to agree with David though that if you want a tree to do a certain thing, be a certain size, have a certain growth pattern, then a grafted tree is up your alley.

However, If you have a windblown hill and you want a tree that might be large then a seedling might be just up your alley. They are perfectly respectable landscape trees. I have four myself and I love every one. Two I might replace with grafted trees because they are in places where I could have put grafted trees, although one has a beautiful multi-trunked structure. Both are pretty old. One's over 50. The other two I wouldn't replace with anything else. But I was lucky. I've seen seedling maples get 40 feet tall here when they get very old.

Let us know what you decide John, or let us help you pick a tree that will fit your situation.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Sorry guys..I must have had high or low blood sugar that day ...didn't mean to sound so obtuse....I have several seedling trees one is VERY special and I plan on propagating it..it's about 12 years old and cool...the others are well OK...thats what I was saying ya never know...and you are correct he may think that is preferable ...I bought my first grafted JM's ( bloodgoods) from Kmart about 8 years ago..I then thought they were INFERIOR to seed grown...they were in clumps and grafted on green jm root stock ( looked funky on green !!!) They ,today, are gorgeous I will post a pic of them ...to big for jaws ;>)...But ultimately I do feel unless you gots lots of land and /or no moola why go that route...why waist your money, time and space on something that you have NO idea what it will look like in 4 years...it's STUPID ...but then John has not responded to my request for MORE info so he may have some logical reason ...and to be blunt it is none of my business anyway ...just hit me as an odd question ...David

Oh herter sells atropupureum seedlings in three inch pots 10"-18" tall 3 for 20$ 5 for 25$ ...sounds like a better deal to me!! The other guy does sell named seedlings (smaller and in smaller tubes and more expensive)but selling named seedlings seems akin to selling fake rolexes on the street although in the case of the rolex it looks the same but won't work the same ...sort of just the opposite with those seedlings IMHO...

http://www.japanesemaple.net/japanesemaple.htm

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You were on a roll there David. Luckily we all know you and love you. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.