marker for iris ID

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

What type of marker do you use to write names on your iris when dividing... my sharpies just dont like writing on the damp iris foliage and wimp out too quick...

charlotte

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

The Sharpies do wimp out quickly on damp foliage, but I still use them. I just keep a couple of paper towels in my pocket to dry the place on the leaf where I intend to write the name. As long as you're writing on a dry leaf surface, the Sharpies work quite well.

Laurie

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Thanks Laurie...I was hoping there was something better :)

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

There may very well be. I just don't know what it is. :-)

Lebanon, OR

I use DecoLiner it is a paint pen, you can pick them up at most craft stores

D

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

I sometimes use a paint pen also, but it takes longer to dry, and I'm such a klutz that I end up with paint on my hands and clothes. :-) Most of the time I use a sharpie and a paper towel.

Sandy

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Good ideas everyone.. thanks

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I use a paint pen on old blinds. 2 labels. One buried and one with the name on both ends.
inana

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Try the sharpie for professional (it's got the yellow/gray handle and wide tip). It works even when slightly damp.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2006 9:36 PM

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Rereading this thread. I use sharpie on the iris as I divide them.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I use a sharpie, but I don't write on them when they are wet. When I divide an iris, I dig up the whole plant and wash all the rhizomes off and lay them out to dry on the grass with the medal garden marker stuck in the grass by them. Putting the garden marker in the grass helps me remember which pile of rhizomes is which iris if I'm dividing several at the same time. Once the rhizomes are dry, then I write on them.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

That may be part of my problem... I divide them into marked piles like Joan but I may not be letting the leaf dry long enough before starting to mark ...

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I mark mine as soon as I dig them up, that way there's no confusion as to which one is which. Then I wash them and the ink doesn't fade...even when they're dipped in bleach...I've been having luck with the "Uni uni.ball Vision Elite" pen to mark my irises. My son is GM for Staples and he gets them for me. Hope this helps.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

I does help but I dont have a son to get them for me ... LOL :)

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I can get them for you! Let me know.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

I was just teasing...but thanks so much for your sweet offer :)

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Something I tried this year is identifying irises that I plan to divide later by writing on masking tape and attaching it to the bloom stem, down lower (don't cut it off when you cut off bloom.) Make sure that the ends of the masking tape are stuck together. Just wear the masking tape on your wrist like a bracelet. Something else you could use if you find yourself sharpie and maskingtape-less is a sharp point to etch the name into a leaf. No ink necessary.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Charlotte, I would gladly send you some if you can't find them in your area. And I knew you were kidding! but I'm not!

Moorhead, MN

I bought some iris at a local garage sale where the lady stapled a heavy paper strip tag right to a leaf-seemed to work well for her and the buyers. It was easy to read and didn't come off& no hunting for it-thought I'd pass it on as I'd never seen it done that way.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Thats a good idea but I dont think I could bring myself to do it ... LOL

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I've had iris purchased online come with a tag stapled to the leaf. Doesn't seem to faze them a bit. :)

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

At farm stores, you can buy the yellow tape, marked Danger, crime scene, or the like, cut into about 1 inch strips, use a sharpie, and staple it around the base of the plant.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Yes... I have done that with the color surveryors tape.

I know putting staples in the plant wouldnt hurt them - it would hurt me :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.