which artichoke is which?

Citrus Heights, CA

Hi, wondering if someone would be kind enough to tell me the names of atichokes found in the grocery stores?
Here in California they sell two types, don't know the names.

One is very round with a dip in each leaf tip..don't like to eat that one, seems tough.

the other is more slim and ovoid shape, like a tea rose before opening, and its leaf tips come to point with a bigger thorn on the end?

I want to attempt to grow, but I want to grow the right one. Thanks for any help in advance. Lisa

las vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

i absolutly ador artichokes, when i lived in del mar after the service i used to buy them by the case on roadside stands for 8 dollars, the round artichokes i feel are the best tasting but the biggest i've ever had was in england and came from isreal, those are the ones you should look into, and guess what after eating them for years, i don't know their names. and now living in montana i can forget about growing my favorite vegetable. craig

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Hmm.. I can't help out with the variety question but was wondering if 888111 had tried the Imperial Star artichokes.. they are for us colder weathered folks

edit more info.. they take 85 days and produce the first year

This message was edited Jul 4, 2006 4:06 PM

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

We grew the Imperial Star this year because we couldn't get the regular types to over winter. We started them in the greenhouse and set them out after the last frost.

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

Here's a closer look at another plant that's budding.

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

But we lost (2) of the (16) we planted to some kind of wilt or pest? I know we have voles & moles but the roots looked healthy on the one I pulled up. Any ideas what would cause a couple of the plants to go while the rest look healthy? Some or our Zucchini did the same thing.

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Crestview, FL

Jozeeben: I planted about 12 of the Imperial Artichokes about a week ago, Ilive in NW Florida, they are little startings already, about how long does it take before they produce fruit? Any good advice as to growing them in Florida?
joy112854

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i planted 3 imperial stars and all i got was nice looking plants but no artichokes. i am afraid to try them again next season because they were a pain to grow.

Crestview, FL

Herbie: I like spinach/artichoke dip too much not to grow them, have you seen the price of marinated artichokes in the groceries? Man o man, way too high for me; plus I like to eat them by themselves. I will be growing mine in Boca Bobs grow bags and in Earthboxes along with everything else I grow. I hope to have a self-watering system hooked up on a timer also come March.
What kind of pests do you have to look out for with artichokes and what kind of special problems do I need to look out for?
joy112854

I must reluctantly concur with Herbie. I just LOVE artichokes, but I started 24 seeds of Imperial Star, got 12 seedlings, but only 2 that grew to transplant size. They both are pretty plants, but they have shown no signs of a bud! If they overwinter (not too likely, I am thinking), they might produce next year. But I sure won't waste time and space trying again. Think I'll switch to cardoons; at least I know they are a sure thing here. And Jerusalem artichokes work good, too, for similar flavour.

Joy, we need your recipe for spinach/artichoke dip!

Crestview, FL

Artichoke - Spinach Dip
2 pkgs of frozen Chopped Spinach
1 jar of marinated artichokes
1/2 onion chopped fine
1 pkg of cream cheese
1/2 cup of grated romano/parmesan cheese
1/2 cup of grated montery jack or cheddar cheese or mexican cheese (doesn't matter - your preference)
1 large container of sour cream
crushed red pepper
Pam Spray
non stick skillet
Thaw Spinach and then drain all fluid out of it. Spray skillet, add spinach, dice up artichokes and onion and add, stirring to heat thoroughly, then add cream cheese in chunks and grated romano/parmesan cheese stir til melted, add crushed red pepper. Once cheeses are melted and flavors have have blended, transfer all to bowl, mix in sour cream, then transfer to oven dish and sprinkle the montery jack or cheddar or mexican over top of the dip. Microwave in microwave for about 6 minutes. Serve with tortillas.

The reason I started the artichokes here already is that I've heard it takes a year for them to produce any fruit. It gets pretty cold here in the fall/winter, so am taking them to south Florida where they will stay til March, then I'll bring them back up here. I think their chances of survival will be greater and hopefully out of 12, a few will make it right? LOL
joy112854

Thanks so much, Joy! My doctor would not authorize me to eat this more than about once every 5 years, but it sounds great!

Good luck with the chokes!

Crestview, FL

Potagere: My neighbor once told me if I quit eating Spinach dip and drinking soda I would lose weight. LOL
joy112854

So why don't I lose any? I've never eaten spinach dip and rarely drink soda.

Crestview, FL

Beats me? I have lost some weight; but, not sure if it is because I haven't eaten spinach dip lately or not. Of course I used to have a high metabolism and it has slowed down over the years; but think we all have that problem in our older years don't we? LOL
joy112854

Yeah, so when are they going to get "golden"? Or is that just a metaphor of the setting sun?
Actually, my doctor wouldn't care about the calories in that recipe; it would be the cholesterol!

And, here's a question? If your artichokes succeed, are you going to 'marinate' them first?
I'd be happy with buds. Ahhh! There is nothing like fresh young artichoke buds in the Spring, cut in halves or quarters (depending on size), sauteed in olive oil (with just a nubbin of butter) with 'herbes de Provence', minced garlic and chopped shallots! Just thinking of it makes me hungry!

Have you ever been in Rome? Some of the old-style family-run restaurants still offer the most gigantic marinated artichoke hearts as part of their antipasti table. No! No! No! It is not considered good form to take just those! Often, in Spring and Fall, they also have the sauteed artichoke buds as well; but I like mine hot.

Crestview, FL

I was stationed in Germany for about 3 years so got to see parts of Italy, Switzerland, Holland, England, never got to Spain though. I love Italian food though. I love pouring the juice from the marinaded artichokes over my salad or meats for flavor before cooking. Anyways, how long does it take before the imperial star starts to bear fruit? I hear that the global artichoke takes 2 years before producing fruit and the imperial star takes a year, is that so?
joy112854

That's the theory! Didn't work for me or Herbie, though! Waiting on next year! A friend of mine has an allotment garden in Edinburgh, and one of the other gardeners has a HUGE artichoke plant that has been growing and producing for at least 5 years!

Believe it or not, I've never been to Holland except changing planes!
I like to use the juice from the marinated artichokes in salad dressing, too!

Crestview, FL

Potagere: I wish I knew more about growing them, but, am just going to experiment this year. LOL
joy112854

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.