Yarrow, native to where?

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

I've been having a discussion of sorts with a friend. We're discussing whether or not yarrow (Achillea) is native or not. Everything I've always read about it, tells me that it isn't native...to North America anyway. My question is, is it? Would there be any that is native to IL (as she claims)? Any links would be appreciated also.

Thanks,

Terry

Prineville, OR(Zone 6a)

Hey, terryr, according to Wikipedia, Achillea is native to Europe, Asia, AND North America. Hope this helps.

Well, the thing gets around then, huh?? :o) I've got to do more searching then as to where in NA it's native to!

Post a photo. siskiyou is correct in that there is a Yarrow that is native. There are over 30 species of Yarrow and only one is native to our area and that is Achillea millefolium var. occidentalis. If you do have the native, it's isn't invasive but it's definitely weedy. I leave it because it takes up space that would ultimately be occupied by an even less desirable species so it serves a purpose over here for the time being. Sooner or later I'll get around to knocking it out but for now it can stay.

I don't have any. It just came up in one of our conversations. I will let her know that she is correct! Even if it is weedy...:o)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.