pressure treated wood being put next to my garden

Somerville, MA(Zone 6a)

Help! My neighbors are building a retaining wall on our property line right next to my vegetable garden, the only really sunny place in my yard.
they are burying pressure treated wood there. I called the city and they say it is legal. supposedly later today the "boss" is returning and they kind of said "if you ahve a problem we can use something else." but the owner of the house next door already told me that stones "were too expensive" --I can't believe it would be THAT much more expensive it is basically just filling in a little trench along the property line (they say to stop the ground from being carried away in the rain as their property is on a hill. mine is more flat so their rain would run into my yard).
this stuff is coated with arsenic?
How about Trek? would that be better?
Thanks for any help you can offer! theresa

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Is Trek that plastic wood? If so, yeah, it's supposed to be better. Are they willing to seal (polyur.) the pressure treated wood or let you do so? And are you willing to fork out a bit to help them use a safer material?

Finally, maybe a small drainage ditch/culvert between your garden and the wall might divert some of their runoff to a less sensitive area.

Good luck to you. Tough question.

Somerville, MA(Zone 6a)

thanks so much. the ditch sounds like a good idea. also some have said the newer wood is NOT with arsenic, i will ask to see the receipt and that it is newer wood.
I wouuld kick in for expenses but the problem is they just told me this Am about this and have already got the wood laying out to be put in the ground.
always hard when time pressure is there ....
thanks again! theresa

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know what they treat pressure treated wood with now, I don't think it's arsenic and I know it's not nearly as dangerous as the old way they used to do it, but it still leaches stuff into the soil and is very far from organic so I would still take some precautions, especially since it's right by your vegetable garden. I think if they'll let you put a sealer on the wood, and then you build a little ditch for drainage just below the wall like people suggested you should be OK.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.