Help ID this odd vine disease please

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

Hello all.
I found 1 of my passiflora's just full of this stuff that begins as a buldge then splits the stems wide open. I have no idea what the kernel looking things are that protrude after the vine splits. It was on my P. Constance Elliot only. I cut all the vines off to a stump and it looks like the problem is solved (knock on wood).
Please shed some light if you can
Thanks, JD

Thumbnail by JLD_II
Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

1 more picture
Thanks again;)
JD

Thumbnail by JLD_II
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I dont know, but that is the darndest thing I have ever seen .

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I was thinking the same thing. I have never seen anything like that on my Passi's

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

it almost looks like eggs, is that possible?

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

I was thinking eggs too but I haven't the foggiest idea what would/could lay eggs like that. The "things" are lined up like kernels of corn on the cob. I tried to squish them, I looked at them under a microscope and it didn't look like anything was inside the kernels either. This plant was over wintered in a greenhouse at a local highschool with several other passi's and it was the only plant showing this trait. I've been researching hi and low, I can't find anything even remotely close to this.
I guess I should just be happy that only 1 plant showed this problem and I was able to cut it all out. Oddly enough, the vines still looked healthy on past this stuff.
It is another testimonial for using Superthrive and Maxicrop on stressed plants bigtime. After cutting it all back to a stump, it sat there with no signs of coming back. After a week or 2, I gave it a dose of Maxicrop/superthrive and the next day it had 2 new growth tips almost 1 inch long! Now it's been another week and there are a good dozen new vines and some are 6+ inches long and looking marvelous.
I'll keep an eye on it as well as more researching the symptoms. I'll keep you all posted if I find anything new.
Thanks for looking and tryingto help;)
JD

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow that is strange. Looks like some kind of eggs. What is Maxicrop?

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

Maxicrop is a product I've been using for many years for many many uses and I can't say enough about how excellent of a product it is alone and combined with others. I use it for foliar feeding cuttings since cuttings can't handle any kind of strong fertilizer. I use it as a transplant food to ward off stress. I also use it as a foliar spray for really stessed out plants. I've had some potted plants that look dead from lack of water and a few minutes after watering it and spraying with maxicrop, the plant stands back up as if nothing ever happened. When combined with superthrive, it is my "fix all solution" for over coming any kind of stress and to give new plants a jumpstart when they can't handle stronger fertilizer's. I posted a link below which will explain what it actually is, I think of it as a must have for so many reasons. Here is the website for the product.
http://www.maxicrop.com/pages/products_1_seaweed.html

I think the reason it works so well is all the trace elements it contains. I know I'll never be caught with out it;).

I don't think I'll ever figure out just what the heck this disease like vine problem is. I've searched as many places as I can think of with no luck. I guess I should just be happy I'm only seeing it in pictures now;). I'm so baffled as to why it only effected this 1 vine when many of my other passiflora's were actually touching the diseased plant and a few others were just a foot or 2 away all winter long inside a greenhouse. Go figure.
JD

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

wow, maxicrop sounds wonderful! Thanks for the link. As for your strange vine problem, I still suspect it is eggs. I had a similar experience, not with a passie, but on a Rose of Sharon. I had all these uniform bumps on the outside of a branch and could not figure out what was wrong with it. Thought fungus or disease, but it turned out to be eggs after I posted it on the ID forum. Someone recognized them and even told me the insect that laid them. I looked it up and sure enough, exact match. I think you should post it in the Identification Forum if you have not already, the people that frequent that forum are really amazing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.