Iris Bloom times

Champaign, IL(Zone 5b)

Can someone please post what order irises bloom in? I am thinking about a a bed of mixed irises.. but I would love for it to bloom throughout the spring and summer.. how long can I keep the show up? Any rare or easy to kill irises won't work.. I have just learned how to keep my bearded irises alive.. thanks everyone for the help there.. they are doing much better.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I don't grow all types, but I can tell you the general bloom periods for the ones I do grow.

Beardeds bloom in order from smallest to tallest with lots of overlap between the classes. This is their order of bloom: MDB, SDB, IB, BB/MTB/TB (simultaneously for these last three).

The Siberians and versicolors will start blooming with the late TBs and continue after the talls are finished. Japanese are the last irises to bloom. I'm not sure where Louisianas fit into the bloom schedule.

Laurie

Lebanon, OR

Hi Colquhoun

We just covered this subject in judges training

Miniature Dwarf Bearded (MDB)
Standard Dwarf Bearded (SDB)
Intermediate Bearded (IB)
Miniature Tall Bearded (MTB)
Border Bearded (BB)
Tall Bearded (TB)
Siberian (SIB)
Japanese (JI)
Spuria (SPU)
Louisiana (LA)

Hope this helps, it did me as well, as I do not grow many LA so that was interesting.

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Just to add in my little bit of info. In my area, and according to Iris City Gardens, the Lousianas bloom between the Siberians and the Japanese. My Siberians are just finished, and the Japanese haven't started yet, but I went to the Iris Friendship Gardens nearby and saw the Louisianas that were in full bloom last weekend. Maybe it's different in different areas Dee?

Champaign, IL(Zone 5b)

Am I correct in saying.. Siberians, Japanese, Spuria, and Louisiana all appear to need conditions that would be hard to meet in a bed of bearded irises? Sorry for all the newbie questions but I am still very new to irises.. and since I have failed two years in a row.. something I think I have finaly corrected.. I want to make sure of everything this time.

This message was edited Jun 20, 2006 7:33 PM

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

My hubby had a few LA and they bloomed kind of in the middle of the TBs.
They are too dry now and need to be moved, so they may have bloomed longer. I am in a really hot zone, though.

Sandy

Lebanon, OR

I know this is what it is standard here in the PNW...my few LA have not bloomed, sibs done, JI almost at peak, some rebloom started on medians.

Being a commerical grower all my iris are in my beds except for the LA and they stay in pots.

All I do is to put a soaker on the JI and that is all that is different.

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Dee, what's the purpose of keeping the LAs in pots? I'm going to purchase a few this year to try.

Thanks for the info!

Polly

Lebanon, OR

Pollyk

Because LA here spread out more than I can allow in the normal bed and honestly they are just for me like the species iris are. No other reason.

Enjoy them

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks!

Polly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.