June 20

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

I will start this week i guess I've been cleaning yard the last two days dug a few plants and put then in 3 gal pots for now may stay there till next year got three iris beds to dig and redo one i'm taking out the other one will be redug and compost added then put back in that one is 10X15 or so,the other was a quick spot to put them at the time it needs to be raised or moved went to town and paid the feed bill and got another ton of feed them rabbits just keep eating
ya'll have a great week
Dave719

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Good to hear from you, Dave. It sounds as tho you have been really busy! I can relate to reworking beds. We will be doing a lot of that this year too.

I went to Powell Gardens today. All we did was weed. But their weeds are much smaller than ours. I managed to rescue some tiny mums that are seedlings from last year so will not fit in with the color scheme of this year. It is their compost pile or our yard. Guess where they will end up. LOL There were other seedings not in the correct places either so I brought some of them home. I need to get busy and put them into potting medium.

Boy it is hot here. I actually perspired today. That is so unsual for me. I drank lots of water tho so I'm not likely to be dehydrated.

Pepper23, I wish you had waited a few minutes or looked for me at the VC because I was a bit late getting back to the hort cabin. I tried to find you but never could. I stayed until 4, then left because everyone else did too. Next time I will come to where you work and meet you.

I need to get these sprouts in some moisture. GOD bless and keep each of you.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

I'm still busy with beans and painting here. The majority of the beans are just starting to set on so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

My brother is repairing upper siding on the south side of the house and I've got the bottom prepared to paint but want him to finish the top part first. I'll probably be most of the summer actually getting it all done since I'm saving the trim for last.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hey EvaMae, sorry about that. I PROMISE I will wait a bit longer next time. I killed time by checking the fluids in my truck and found it was overheating so that kinda took over my rational thinking side. LOL. I just took the truck home and let it sit til we could look at it. Next time I will walk the whole place before leaving. LOL. I will hunt you down like a dog. You won't be able to get away!!

I have pepper plants and tomato plants from PG and they are finally getting blooms on them and should start giving me food here soon. I planted canna lilies a few weeks ago and only one has come up. I don't think the others will. That won't look good either where I got htem planted. When it gets tall you will be able to see it from the road sitting there by its lonely self.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I need to get back to weeding out the blackberry rows. Each is about 100' long and since I was injured in a vehicle accident last year and didn't get any weeding done it is really a mess. Most of it is cheat grass(wild oats)and there are millions of seeds to be destroyed by fire. I am about 2/3 done with one row but it is the worst of the 3 rows. One of them is grapes as well as blackberries. It looks like a good crop of grapes coming on and the blackberries are doing well. I need to spend more time on the red raspberries and dewberries. I know they are bearing now. But little Skyler knows where they are too and helps himself often. He also goes for the mulberries and blackberries. He loves fresh fruits and thankfully they don't seem to bother his digestive system like they did last year.

We are still a bit dry here. I'll turn off the conditioner system today and use soaker hoses and sprinklers.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

All I am going to do today is get a haircut and play 3 horseshoe matches this evening. I might play up in the Missouri State Fair. not sure about that. This heat would be hard if you got to play 6 to 7 matches one right after the other. They have no shade at all up there.

My lonely canna will have company next year. I tried to dig one up last night and found a root system on it and it was a really good one. Good enough that i would have to do alot of diiging to get it out. Yeah!

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I weeded and weeded and weeded last night and now this morning I couldn't find my columbine.

What did you do? Dig it up? LOL

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I'm thinking I must have. I was very zealous in my snatching and yanking.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Maybe you can find and replant it? Beg forgiveness and water well. Columbines are quite forgiving plants.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

We are still picking blackberries and mulberries. Still lots of little green mulberries on the trees. I made a rhubarb/mulberry crunch with oatmeal topping Sunday night. It was good. That is the first time I have done any cooking with them that I remember. Just ate them fresh before. I have a few small bags in the freezer for future use. Need to get lots more in there.

It is a bit cooler here this week. Our 17 year old grandson Shadoe is with us for a few days so we have been getting lots of manual labor done that Jack and I can't do ourselves. He brought us a 1/2 pickup load of wonderful stable cleaning much. Nice ground up stuff. It went on the asparagus bed and one other one that needed to be refilled. He will go home this afternoon and come back this weekend for Independence Day with another load of mulch which will either go in another bed or on a pile by itself. Holly will feel free to use some if it is in a pile. I'm going to try to get more every month in our 4' X 8' trailer when I go to Powell Gardens and then on up to Kris's in Independence. The stable charges $20 a pickup load but they do all the shredding and load the truck for them. Not a bad deal. I would love to go to Dave's sometime and get a trailer load of rabbit droppings if they are available. I haven't really asked you about this yet Dave. But if you have them I would love to get them. Just don't have any idea when.

We burned off the old barn site-the barn burned to the ground years ago so we can see the metal in there to remove it. Then we let the rest of the whole area burn off dead material that was full of seeds. I know that won't kill all of the seeds but hopefully will slow things down a bit. Then we worked on a pile of posts with the wire still firmly attached. I want to get all this scrap metal hauled off today if possible. Shad needs to go home today. He will be back Sunday for family festivies and firesworks and bring another load of mulch with him then.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

lealflady Any time your coming to springfield to visit your son just let me know and i try to be here so you can get some i"m just off13 I been doing about the same cleaning barn and working on the garden working on a cage on the back of the little truck right now to make it so i can haul small livestock with it i'd better get back at it we also have to ship tonight
ya;ll have a great week
Dave719

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Dave. That would be great. Actually, I can get a lot in our van in storage tubs so I wouldn't have to pull the trailer. If we remove the middle seats it might hold more than the trailer. We have lots of those tubs around.

I put the baby chicks in the bird house for the first night last night. I had a wire cage that had a door large enough for the carrier to fit thru and still be rather snug so they will be safe from the other birds until they grow somewhat and get use to being in there. I think Sheldon bunny misses their company tho. He acts rather sad this morning. They have been with him since they hatched. I think they are about 2 months old by now. Not sure of hatching date.

Shad had to go home yesterday but before he left we got a pickup load and a trailer load of scrap metal taken to town. We got $35+ for it which suprised us. I have another load on the trailer and will add to it before heading to town with it. It should weight at least 1/2 as much as the total from yesterday as there wasn't much on the trailer yesterday. We are cleaning up an old burned barn site and an old multipurpose yard that has long since gone by the wayside. But the wire was stapled to the posts of course and there was chicken wire inside the American wire so it was hard to get it all apart. We tried to burn the posts but they didn't seem to burn very well in spite of everything we poured on them. But the wire finally was remove with much cutting and Shad and Kyle mashed it down into flat pieces that would fit into Shad's pickup. They won't take the barbed wire tho so I don't know what we will do with it. Wad it up and stuff in it a barrel or something I guess.

need to get a lot more weeding done. Both here and at the cafe'. I don't think they realize that some of our beds look as bad or worse than the perennial bed over there. I get one under control and look around to see 3 or 4 are totally out of control and look terrible. I need to do some weed eating this morning. I can't even see where the raised beds begin and end in there for the weeds. I don't why Holly and Jack will NOT mow between those beds when they mow the lawn. I get it mowed down and show them I want it done and they just leave it until it finally takes a serious weed eating to get it back under control. Then they leave it to grow up again. Really irks me. There is enough room for 11/2 passes down thru each one.

Must go get started on the day. GOD bless and keep each of you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.