organic valley potting soil

Lilburn, GA

Hi!

I just got these from HD. It only has leaf mould, sand and some perlite. I got it for my herbs as I thought it may be natural (without chemicals). now I am worried that it is just trash.

Does anyone use it? Can you give me some feedback? I am thinking of feeding my herbs with fish emulsion.

Spider, I haven't used that particular type, but I would first test the drainage capacity.
Put some in a bucket. Moisten it. Then fill a pot like you'd do for a plant. Then water the pot like you would if there was a plant in it. Set it outside and then check it in the AM, and then later in the day. Is it still wet? Or did it dry out and crust on the top? Does it seem overly "heavy" when wet??
If it's heavy (I have used an organic soil from Lowes that is heavy) you can add a BIT of Nature's helper. This is also good to add to larger potting plants. Don't add too much. It's light and it drains well. It's also very inexpensive. I water in new transplants with fish/kelp emultion and then just use fish on everything else. In 4" plants at home and at church we use a 1/2 dilution of the fish emultion once every 2nd week.

Hope that helps.

GGG

Lilburn, GA

It helps a lot GGG. i will do the test tomorrow.

Thank you very much!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.