Feral Heather & Buying Natives

Cincinnati, OH

Eureka! I keep finding feral Heather. I know feral is not ingenuous, but close. I was sitting on a wall supervising my son. I saw a cute weed so I picked it. The lawn is mowed frequently this is really small. Now I am hunting for it. In healthy lawns it grows together with chickweed. It also grows on the edges of bare spots.
I just bought a native Orchid*. Any advice on orchids would be welcomed. I did not know they grow in Ohio.
I also bought some more Chimaphila. My first were florists version, only one survives. In the florist trade a couple of weeks is good. Then I bought Chimaplila and Pyrola on Ebay from someone that was suspended from Ebay but now is back. They were selling the same plant as both. I think they were wild, none survived. This time pot grown. These will not survive unless planted with other wintergreens or certain other plants. Mine will be planted with the Arctostaphylos.

Ancient Greeks had temperate Orchids. In the winter they would die back leaving two balls in the ground. Hence the medical term 'cryporchid'.

Your post is an wish fulfilled. I wished I knew more about indigenous plants and here is this lovely post! Thanks for the information... :-]
more please?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.