cutting back rebloomers ??

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

I am rather new to dealing with irises. I had just gone out the other evening and thought I'd houseclean the few that I have. I cut off all the stalks. Then I remembered that 2 of them are supposed to be rebloomers. Did I just cut off the chance to see another bloom this year or will they send up new stalks.?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Rebloom occurs on new bloomstalks. No problem cutting off the old ones.

Laurie

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Laurie, Now I don't have to be mad at myself for doing something stupid. ;)

Deb

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Willit_Grow.......................I love that name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

Willit_Grow,
I was wondering the same thing. Some of mine looked so down and out without rain and the heat. I clipped some and then remembered there might be a few rebloomers .
Winnie

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Lotusblossom, I like yours also.
It really does fit me. I just plant the stuff and wait to see if it will grow. I wanted to put the "?" on the end but couldn't cause of the rules and regs of DG

Winnietn,
I guess you were glad to see Laurief's reply then too...
Even thou I've had a couple of irises in the past years this is the first year that I realized just how much I like them. So now I'm gonna try to do it right.

Happy gardening everyone !
Deb

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

You WANT to cut the old stalks and not let it go to seed. You want the energy to go into producing more roots or reblooming. ALL iris do better if you remove the spent stalks. :)

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Wanda, that sums it up and I know from viewing other threads that you have a "few" irises. ;)
Deb

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Willit_Grow, love the name too, but find myself singing ''Will it Float'' song from David Letterman. Laugh!

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

billyporter, glad it makes ya sing ! It probably doesn't make anyone want to plant anything ;)
Deb

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

I put in reblooming irises (my first) last fall, and this spring there were just 2 or 3 flowers among the 5 plants. Realizing the paucity of blooms may have been due to the fact that it's their first year, I still think they need to be moved. They are border irises and I underpredicted the height of the of the flower stalks on the Dianthus in front of them, so at the time they were both blooming, you could hardly see the irises' flowers.

My question is, when is the best time to move a reblooming border iris?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

missgarney,

My understanding is that there really is no best time to move a rebloomer (aside from making sure you get it into the ground at least 6 weeks prior to your first frost of winter). Go ahead the move the plants whenever it's convenient for you as long as it isn't a bazillion degrees out. You don't want to stress the plants any more than necessary by transplanting them in excessive heat.

You are correct about this year's minimal spring bloom most likely being the result of their being first year plants. Of course when you move them, you'll be right back to square one in terms of them settling into a regular bloom cycle again. Choose your next planting spot wisely so you can leave them undisturbed for the next few years.

Laurie

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

Thanks Laurie. I think I'll wait and see if they bloom again this season. Now that Dianthus bloom is well over, they are in full view. Here's a photo of one of the few flowers they produced this past spring.

Thumbnail by missgarney
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

So pretty Missgarney. How tall are they?

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

I agree Missgarney, Very pretty.
Deb

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

It's "Leonora Pearl" and the flower stalks were no taller than a foot and a half, maximum. The few that bloomed bore multiple large blossoms on a single stem. I thought they were gorgeous, but I had to go right up to them to see them because of the dianthus gratianopolitanus at the front of the border: its flowers were so thick and tall, the irises were hidden.

Here's another picture, the dianthus are not seen here. I'm practically standing on them to take the photo, more or less from above.

Thumbnail by missgarney
McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Why don't you just move the dianthus?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

If your Lenora Pearl blooms again this season, chances are it won't do so until fall, at which point it'll be too late to replant it elsewhere, anyway. If you want it planted in a different spot for next year's bloom, I recommend you move it as soon as possible so it can root in and establish itself before winter.

BTW, zone 6 is the lowest zone in which LP has been reported to rebloom at all, so you probably won't see reliable rebloom on it in your garden.

Laurie

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

Caitlin: that would be a good idea if there weren't so many Dianthus. It is a row of about 10 very large mats growing along and over a short dry stack stone wall. On the other hand, there are only 5 iris who haven't quite established. So it comes down to the amount of work involved...I plead laziness.

Laurie: I believe I will do as you suggest. It makes sense, especially if rebloom is not a sure thing. Now to choose a spot for them elsewhere. Thanks.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Rebloom is never a sure thing on any iris in any climate. There are just too many factors involved in whether or not an iris will rebloom to guarantee that sort of performance.

Laurie

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Well, here's another idea: A lazy idea (my favorite kind!) Cut back the dianthus early so that it will bloom later, after the iris. Or at least, cut back the dianthus directly in front of the iris.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Laurie another question.

Since I have iris borers, even if I'm very careful to send clean iris to someone in zone 8, is there a chance of the borers living? I don't think I asked why your areas don't have them. I sure don't want to spread them. Careful as I'll try to be.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

billyporter, my area DOES have borers, though I've been very effective in keeping them under control in my own iris beds using Merit. I haven't encountered a single damaged rz so far this year, and I've dug hundreds.

If your garden has borers, it is very important for you to inspect your rhizomes meticulously before shipping them to anyone else's garden. Do the bleach solution soak for 20 mins to get them really clean, then rinse them and look them over carefully for any signs of damage to the rhizomes. If you see any chew marks or holes other than the pinholes on the undersides of the rhizomes where the old roots have died off, don't send them to anyone else. If your rhizomes look firm, intact, and healthy, go ahead and share them. It might not be a bad idea to give your traders a heads-up, though, about your borer problem so they can do their own inspections on receipt.

You're right. Borers are not something you want to spread around.

Laurie

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks, MGH says they don't have borers and I don't know why not. She's in zone 8. I sure will be extra careful!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.