Bonsai beginner needs advice

Valdosta, GA(Zone 8b)

Actually, I don't even have a bonsai tree yet. I figure, why let the poor flora suffer while I bumble my way through. Here are my questions:

1. What is a good bonsai book for beginners that will allow me a good foundation to build my bonsai skills?

2. Which bonsai plant would be best for a beginner?

3. What are the essential tools of bonsai?

4. Any good websites that could answer these questions for me?

5. While almost everyone has recommended placing bonsai outside, the only place I could put it is on my porch, which faces East and gets a tremendous amount of direct sunlight. It gets really, really hot in my area as well...and there's little to no shade. Most of my plants are kept in deep containers (usually one to two sizes bigger than recommended) and the soil still heats up a bit. Would you still think a bonsai could survive all that heat and light? Are there indoor varieties? What about those little stands I've seen that have a plant light right above it. You set your bonsai under the light, on a little stand, and it takes care of the rest...looks sorta like a book light...but I don't know if they actually work.

Inglis, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi, Kim. Welcome to the wonderful world of bonsai! It's not as hard as you might think.
We used to live outside Augusta, GA and now live in west central FL so I have to deal with heat and hot sun also.
There are tropical bonsai that do well in our climate but you still have to be careful with the sun. Of course, you can keep your bonsai indoors and put it out in the late afternoon/early evening and bring it in again around noon.
There are tons of web sites on bonsai! Google it and you will be amazed! I have a few books but the web sites are much more informative...from the basics up to the advanced.
Please, please, please don't think you have to spend a lot of money!!! Go to a good garden center and ask to see their "rejects". Yup. The small trees/shrubs that they don't think anyone will want. You'll find a gold mine there. As long as the tree/shrub is alive, you can turn it into a very nice bonsai. Those little rejects have much more character and resemble an older tree much more than the ncely pruned ones.
I would suggest you start with a bougainvillea, camellia, fig, serissa, gardenia or umbrella tree. These are some of the tropicals that are the easiest to grow. You may also wish to consider a jade plant. The bougainvillea, besides making a lovely bonsai, also has flowers. It trains easily and when it gets a little older (larger) should be able to be kept outdoors except during the hottest part of the summer.
Tools can be improvised. You won't need a lot at first. If anything, get yourself a concave branch cutter. A pair of manicure scissors and a chop stick will work for now. You will need, especially for a tropical, a shallow tray (cake pan or cookie sheet will work...something cheaper in plastic if you can find it). Get some uniform, small rocks or pebbles. Larger rocks sold for fish tanks will work. Place the pebbles in the bottom of the pan about 1/2 inch deep. Set you bonsai pots on the pebbles and keep water in the pan. Keep the water level below the top of the pebbles! All you want to do is provide adequate humidity for your bonsai.
One book I will recommend is ORTHO'S ALL ABOUT BONSAI. It is modestly priced at $14.95 and contains all the information you will need to start and to refer back to. Very good book! It will also explain to you how to use flourescent lighting if you want to keep your bonsai indoors all the time.
The most important thing to have is patience!!! I've tried rushing some of my trees in the past and have ended up losing them because I over-pruned. Remember, bonsai can range in size from a few inches (mame bonsai) up to 2 1/2 to 3 feet. You have to let the tree grow and develop before you do any serious trimming.
Best of luck to you, Kim. I'm sure you will enjoy yourself!
Marsha.

Bandung, Indonesia

Do you have any comments about this bonsai - one of my collection ([HYPERLINK@www.bonsaistar.com]) ?

Species : Ficus Microcarpa (Kimeng)

Style : Formal

Height : 35 cm

Thumbnail by limadijaya

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.