Hedychiums are begining to bloom!!! Ohh, the smells :)

Viera, FL(Zone 9b)

My hedychiums are beginning to bloom and I'm in heaven. H. x 'Daniel Weeks' started first (he always does) and now Tara and Luna Moth are also blooming and Flavum isn't far behind, I've seen several inflorescence.
Liz
pic is Hedychium x 'Luna Moth' (smells spicey)

Thumbnail by birdlady_liz
Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

Those are beautiful Liz! So dainty.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

So soon? Lucky you! How long does your bloom cycle last in Florida? My butterflies usually bloom late July to frost here.

Viera, FL(Zone 9b)

Different varieties beginning blooming at different times. This one is a hybrid 'Luna Moth' It's only about 2-3' feet tall . The one that blooms first for mr every year is Hedychium hybrid 'Daniel Weeks' It's about 5' tall and is a two toned yellow witha honeysuckle type scent.

Viera, FL(Zone 9b)

Luna Moth Close Up

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Very nice I wish I could smell them!!

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

I have several this year- thanks to a kind, generous DG'er. Mine haven't bloomed yet and I cannot wait!!

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I can't wait! Dr.Moy bloomed for me last year.What a wonderful smell.All the rest are new and hopefully will bloom this year.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

I have several green healthy-looking gingers but as yet no blooms. This is my first yr growing them.
When do these bloom in my zone 7b?

Viera, FL(Zone 9b)

They'll bloom later for you, if it would bloom in June for me it could be August for you and so forth. Do you know what varieites you have? Some start for me in June but some other are later summer early flall even here. When is your firsrlast frost dates? Some of the ones that bloom much later in the summer may not get a chance to bloom for you if Autumn frosts come early enough.
Liz

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

THANKS birdlady! I don't know the name -other than that they are a white butterfly type.
My first frost is in late Oct/early Nov. I always have tons of stuff still blooming at that time and some things that the frost doesn't kill- roses, etc..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.