Missouri Grow Native Program

Belton, MO(Zone 5b)

We built a house in the woods about three years ago and decided to use native plants in our "formal" landscaping around the outside of the house.

We had a GN landscape architect draw up the plans, and have been doing phases of the plan each year, but now that we are getting into the plans in our larger beds, we are running into a problem of not being able to find the plants the architect specified; mainly, these plants are not readily available in the Kansas City area.

Has anyone else done a large-scale GN landscaping project? I would really appreciate feedback on any plants that have and have not worked, as well as a website to help find native alternatives to the native plants we can't get.

On the up side, beauty berry bushes and purple poppy mallow that we were able to find are flourishing and beautiful; also, we are able to find all the trees. We recently planted some Missouri primrose and plains coreopsis that we are delighted with.

Our main issue seems to be with shrubs, mainly wild hydrangea and Virginia sweetspire. I saw the board about Lazy S's farm, but am a little nervous about ordering such plants on-line.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this subject for me!!!

Lees Summit, MO(Zone 5b)

There's a place in Belton that a friend of mine works at, they are a part of the grow-native program and all they have at this nursery are grow-natives. it's right off 71 highway with a big windmill in front, you can't really miss it, it's on the left side if you're going into belton from KC. I can't think of the name right off, it's like Wetland... or Restoration... something like that.

Mo Wildflowers in Jeff. City is also a great place.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Go to Longview Gardens off Bannister (95th) and Highview drive. They have TONS of natives - they are the biggest GN nursery in the area, and lovely people. They are in the phone book, but take highway 470 east to Raytown Road exit, to left and follow that road ALL THE WAY to Bannister - probably 3 miles, and go right on Bannister, heading east, for about 2 miles.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

everytime went thur there on way to and from Minnesota no time to stop see anything .. but know i know.. take 71 north is route use..

Belton, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the responses.

We have been using Critical Site Products / Prairie Wetland Center, but they grow everything from seed and don't get into the more "exotic" GN plants/bushes we are looking for, such as Virginia Sweetspire and Wild Hydrangea. We will probably use them for our flowers.

We bought from Longview Gardens about 2 years ago, but the people were very condensending (sp?). Plus, I called there this year asking about New Jersey Teas, and the lady rudely told me that they no longer sell bushes, trees, shrubs or evergreens. Guess I was just supposed to know that because they put that out in the universe. Gotta get my ESP tuned up. I will also bad mouth this place to everyone I know who might even consider driving by the place.

My husband did hear about Soil Service Center on Troost. Turns out they have a lot of the stuff we are looking for and know how to get the stuff we don't have. Also found Keller's in Independence, but they promised to call me back about what we are wanting to get and I'm still waiting for them to contact me. Another one bites the dust.

I would really like some feedback on bushes and flowers that folks have tried--how do they grow versus their height & width specs? What works best in wet soil with full sun? What doesn't do as well as spec'd???

Kingston, MA

kc ............do you have any local botanical gardens in your area? They usually have or sell most any of your area native trees, plants, shrubs and flowers.

dj

Belton, MO(Zone 5b)

DJS - Thanks for the thought, but no botanical gardens close by. Powell Gardens is over an hour away, and I don't think they sell anything.

Looks like the Soil Service folks have what we are looking for, or at least have contacts to get us what we need. I can't wait for the next couple of years when all these starters will be in their full size--I think it will be beautiful!

Kingston, MA

KC I am sure they will be and good luck on your search !

dj

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.