Best place to sell extras...

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Now... I am NOT an iris nursery so dont be thinking...hey I traded with her and she is selling my plants... ! NOT.

But I would love to be able to sell some of my extras for a few bucks each year. Would give me a few extra plant dollars. Sometimes I hate to offer them for trade cause folks offer me other things for them that "maybe" I dont need and I dont like to hurt anyones feelings.

Other than ebay with its obvious advantages and disadvantes... are there any other good outlets to sell a few extra plants?

charlotte >)

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

The Lily Auction

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Why don't you just post in the iris thread, and emphatically state that they are for sale. Or is that prohibited? I certainly would be interested in any you had for sale.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I am thinking of checking out the local farmers markets. Or how about a sign in your yard, or an ad in the local paper? I am thinking that I want to avoid having to mail them if possible.
Sharon

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

If it isn't prohibited perhaps Dave should have a yard sale forum for plants, tools, seed, etc. I would certainly visit it often. Patti

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

It is absolutely forbid here on Daves.. to post that things are for sale. You can offer to pay for something that is for trade if you dont have the plant they are seeking but they can not list things for sell.

I have suggested a forum just for extra sale stuff but it seems to be something that they just dont want to hassle with. Alot of members are against it as they think it would case trouble..I dont think it is any worse than trades which sometimes so bad. Also, the people that sell stuff on Daves pay some type of fee (store..advertising? -- I think it is a yearly think but too much $$ for me to bother with ) I cant really talk about it intelligently because I'm not going to do it and havent studied the details.

I understand why Dave doesnt want to fool with it but it sure would be neat. I cant sell a plant on ebay for $3 or $4 dollars...pay ebay fees...paypal fees and clear even enough to pay for another iris.

We dont have a farmers market closeby...a flea market on Wednesday but its mostly outside..(oh lord its hot) and folks like to buy things while they are blooming mostly. I can get my sister in law to make me a sign for the road but I dont really have alot of sell at one time.

I will check out the lily auction..I've tried to stay away from there :) Do you pay fees... ? I'll have to check it out... Not wanting to make a living ...just to support my "addictions" (hosta, daylily, iris, waterlily) with a little extra dough.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Yes, there are fees. A 20 cent listing fee and a percentage of the final auction value. Starts at like 4% I think. Just make sure you set your postage close to the actual need plus a little extra to cover the gas to the post office and back. Some people state that they only go to the post office on certain days too.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Darn... is that better than ebay ? OF course I realize they have to make money to run the site and at least you can say Paypal only from a bank acct.

Silly me..I tried to sell my telescope on ebay last week.

I didnt want to rip anybody off on shipping... I put $10 and then forgot to "uncheck" the priority mail box that I have used once before when I sold a waterlily. Wouldnt you know a fellow in Calilfornia won the bid and it would cost me $28 to ship the thing !! Then...he didnt pay so that was maybe good news. Now I have learned to investigate the shipping cost more before I list something... LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.