What's blooming Now!

Wauconda, IL

Everything seems a bit early this year! Asclepias Tuberosa

This message was edited Jun 18, 2006 4:13 PM

Thumbnail by dodecatheon
Peoria, IL

My butterfly weed is just about ready to open... not quite.

I only have one plant in the spot where I used to have three... :- (

Las Cruces, NM

The wild Asclepias tuberosa is blooming here in New Mexico, too, up at 7,000 feet...

Found some yellow ones:

http://www.polyploid.net/swplants/images/Asclepias_tub_19Jun06_5837.jpg

Patrick Alexander

Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

Some might find it odd that I'm posting in here (don't worry, it's not important), but my Silene virginica is blooming today. The red is indescribable and digital photography can't do its incredible color justice. One of my favorite natives.

-Greg

This message was edited Jun 23, 2006 1:17 AM

Thumbnail by gregr18

I've never seen that deep pink in Silene before. It's actually prettier than the deeper pinkish reds that I've seen around here.

I've never seen a yellow tuberosa before. That photo was pretty wild. I have one A. tuberosa and it looks as if it wants to do something but it hasn't quite decided what to do yet. Cimicifuga racemosa, Hydrophyllum virginianum, Trillium recurvatum, Amsonia tabernaemontana, and Desmanthus illoiensis just finished blooming for me and that was rather early for me this year as I thought the Desmanthus illoiensis bloomed last year in July. I've got assorted Sarracenia, Parthenium integrifolium, Polygonatum commutatum, Sisyrinchium angustifolium, Thalictrum dasycarpum, Penstemon digitalis & Penstemon pallidus, lupinus perennis, Polemonium reptans, Viburnum dentatum, and these Anemone canadensis that I planted last year in bloom right now.

Thumbnail by Equilibrium
Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

It is a bit off Lauren, when I compare the colors with the actual plant. Unfortunately, the flash causes problems and I took it too late in the day for the flash not to go off. When I tried to take it with manual focus without flash in the light conditions, I couldn't get a decent shot. The beauty of this plant, bad photograph or not, is definitely something we can all agree on :).

-Greg

Wauconda, IL

Nice Firepink! I grew some from seed this year, but I don't think they'll bloom until next.

Collingswood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here in South Jersey, the butterfly weed (Asclepias Tuberosa) started blooming about a week ago around the same time that the meadow anemone (Anemone canadenses) stopped blooming. If you look closely you'll see trumpet creeper (Campsis radicans) moving in to smother everything! This thug is popping up everywhere and I don't have room for it so I'll probably have to rip it out. My mother warned me but I didn't listen. It's a shame because I've heard the butterflies and hummers love the nectar.

And I'm getting ready to pick my first tomato of the season!

Thumbnail by Fireweed87
Collingswood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Gooseneck Loosestrife (Lysimachia clethroides) is starting to bloom. I have it in partial shade so it may be blooming later than some.

Thumbnail by Fireweed87
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Beebalm, Marshalls Delight.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Tunas, MO

My joepyeweed is blooming along with compass plant and prairie dock. Butterfly weed is done and so is bergamont. My firepink bloomed the first part of May, briefly rebloomed a couple of weeks ago. AND my New England aster is blooming.

It's all very strange.

RW

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Strange days indeed.

Lovely daylily, lovely name. Aurora Raspberry.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Monkey Flower. Mimulus ringens.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Glen Cove, NY(Zone 7a)

Calopogon tuberosus, both white and pink forms. Blooming since last week.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.