A garden view of some JM's

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Just a composite view of my garden showing my Omure Yama, Red Dragon, Trompenburg and in the distance, A. shirasawanum 'Aureum'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Gorgeous! I love the contrasts.

Laura

Santa Barbara, CA(Zone 10a)

Wow! What a fab garden! Everything including jmaples are beautiful. Can you get a closer shot of the Aureum in the background? I have a baby one and love to look at what it may become.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Todd - just stunning. You clearly have set these beautiful trees like gems.

San Jose, CA

That's just beautiful. I really like the Omure Yama in the foreground. Such lovely coloration.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Gardenerme, here is a closer shot of the Aureum. I keep it pruned to keep it in scale.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The south side of the garden features my Suminigashi

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Todd, I have really enjoyed your photos in "Plant Files"...these are icing on that cake. Would love to see more or more angles on these.

Laura

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

A wide-angle view of the back yard showing the Red Dragon and Suminigashi

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Another view of my crowded garden...Red Dragon, Omure Yama and Bloodgood.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Omure Yama now that the Azaleas are in full bloom.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Hmmm, I would not have considered putting an orangey azalea next to a pink one, but that one contrasts nicely with the Omure Yama. Thanks for the extra photos...It gives me some color ideas for some azaleas in my garden plan as well as a better idea of how a couple of my JMs may grow.

Laura

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Todd is your Aureum in full sun and if so so you get leaf burn...it looks very burnable ..it's early there so I wouldn't expect it now but what about in mid july and aug.??? David

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Laura, I dare to combine colours that others fear to do! Maybe I'm colour blind. Yeloow with pink, I draw the line, but orange...oh what the heck!

David, my Aureum is shaded from 1 pm onwards so burning has never been a problem. Mind you, locally it can probably take full afternoon sun as our sun is not strong, but hot afternoon shade is usually advised.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Todd You said you were late before but I guess I really didn't realise how late ...your stuff looks like mine did a month ago...of course not as manicured ...I am more of an anarchistic planter...my brain waves just don't correspond to the manicured look ...I am jealous though wish I could be a bit more planned out in my plantings.... hopefully ....eventually I will be able to post pics without all the wire and rebar.... I did leave the hose out for three hours yesterday cause i was just TOO lazy ...and "jaws" didn't chew on it ...thats a big step foward ;>) David

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I don't really plan anything in the garden..they just seem to fall into place. Usually it is simply a gap that needs filling with whatever catches my fancy.

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow...I mean, WOW...no, I mean WWWOOOOWWWW!!!! I've only ever seen like two kinds of Japanese Maple around here! I'm going to have to start shopping around now that I know there are more than just red and green ones...wow...Todd, your garden is so beautiful!! I have to wait until my big trees grow so there'll be enough shade in my yard to grow more JMs, then I'm sooo going shopping online!!! They're really, really beautiful!! Thank you for sharing your pictures!!

Well, however you do it, it works well. Some people just have a good sense of what goes where and what "that spot needs".

Would love to see the changes of the scenery over the seasons if you get time to post more pics later, maybe a few weeks apart.

Laura

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

oh, me too!

Santa Barbara, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks for the closeup of the full moon aureum. I have a baby and can't wait for it to get bigger!

Ferndale, WA(Zone 8b)

What is the difference between Acer shirawasanum aureum and Acer japonicum aureum?
They seem so similar.
Thanks, Freebird.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

One and the same....shirasawanum is the new name...japonicum was the old.

Plano, TX(Zone 7a)

Todd,

Thanks for posting all these pictures, they are just lovely. I just joined the forum yesterday and was finally able to see all the pictures that you posted enlarged. Previously, as a non-subscriber I could only see thumbnails size pictures, actually your postings was one of the main reasons I decided to join, plus all the wealth of knowledge and experience the other members bring.
Your maples look so healthy and lush, what is your fertilizing regimen for these? I love your aureum the best.

thanks,
xman

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Thanks Xman and welcome to Dave's Garden....I'm sure you'll enjoy being a member of DG as there are many very knowledgeable people here.

I must confess I rarely fertilize my garden! If I did, the plants would grow way too fast and space is limited so I prefer if they grow slowly!

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Todd, your gardens are what I aspire to. Do you follow a certain process in arranging your beds? I want to start collecting JM's but am a bit nervous about the prospect yet. The art of prunning is something you seem to have mastered along with plant placement and color selection. Amazing, truely amazing. :) Any tips would always be welcome.

Diann

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I don't do any serious planning...planting just seem to happen. I aspire to curved beds and islands, but otherwise, plants just seem to fall into place. I do have to move plants from time to time. Think about the skeleton first...place the larger material then work from taller to short along the edges. I think about textures before flowers as leaves are all summer while flowers are apt to be short-lived.

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

I'm working on a Japanese Garden, for a very natural area in my back yard, outside our fence. It will be a stroll style garden, and I'm sort of at a stand still. I've been reading about the aspects and design elements of Japanese gardens, and I've gotten some things done, but.....

Everything in your pictures look so beautiful. How old are the JM's in your pictures? How long have they been there? I realize that your climate is much different from mine, and JM's don't grow happily here. It is work to get them to be healthy, and they almost always get some leaf burn in the July/August heat.

Here's my oldest JM, hovering over a fountain by the back door. I don't even know the name, because it wasn't labeled when I bought it. It's a lace leaf, and was red when I bought it, but it is in so much shade, it turns green pretty quickly after the leaves come out in the spring. I've done no pruning on it at all, and it has not grown taller, but has filled out some.

Just beautiful, and thanks for sharing!
Happytail

Thumbnail by happytail
Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

Todd_Boland, they are all beauties!!!! I just added the ones I don't already have to my want list. Omure Yama, Suminagashi. nice work!!! Jim

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Todd, how old is your suminagashi? They get up to 24 feet here.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

My Suminigashi is 7 years old. The tallest JM in Newfoundland is only 18 feet ('Atropurpureum'). Being at the edge of where they can be grown keeps them small.

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

Todd_Boland, thanks for the clarification on the Acer japonicum aurium, I'll have to re-label mine. Jim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.