Oakleaf Hydrangea

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

A friend of mine has an Oakleaf Hydrangea that people driving by in their cars stop all the time to ask about and take pictures of. I had been wanting to get a couple of pictures of my own and missed out last year. But I finally had the opportunity this week - a beautiful specimen!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

A shot from the other side - the flowers are HUGE - most of them are at least 12" long.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

And a close up of the flowers

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

My friend offered to "pose" to give you a better idea of the size of the bloom

Thumbnail by rcn48

Very nice indeedy! I just planted two little 1 gallon pots of Oakleaf Hydrangea and here's hoping mine grow up like yours. They truly are beautiful.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I saw one once on a garden tour that was trained up high like a climber, and it was spectacular - that way you could see the bark.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That's a beauty! Snowflake maybe?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

That is a biggie, I am getting flowers on mine for the first time this year.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

pollyk, although my friend bought what she thought was 'Snow Queen', it sure doesn't look like ours and I'm thinking that it might be 'Snowflake' because of the "doubled" flowers.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Not Snow Queen. I sell both, and I think it is Snowflake. Snow Queen has single flowers, and the inflorescences are held quite strongly upright. Also Snow Queen inflorescences are only about 8", where Snowflakes gets 12-15".

There are other quercifolias, but actually Snowflake is quite unique. Harmony and Roanoke have much fuller inflorescences than Snowflake, and to me don't look nearly as pretty. The other quercifloias are not as common in commerce. So that would lead me to believe it's Snowflake.

Whatever, not to bore you, that's a beautiful, well grown Hydrangea!

Polly

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Polly, not boring at all! We grow both of them as well, however 'Snowflake' is usually sold out before we get the chance to see it flower. We just got one planted in our gardens this year so anxious to see if it's as gorgeous as this one. We're also growing a couple other quercifolias, 'Amethyst' and 'Vaughn's Lillie'. Hoping that 'Amethyst' lives up to the great descriptions I've read. The flowers of the 'Vaughn's Lillie' have started showing themselves and I'm not that impressed - flowers on a mature specimen should be the size of a football but I really don't like the look of the flowers. I'll try to get a picture and post it.

Debbie

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ivy...I would love to see that trained up it sounds interesting...was it espaliered or just trimed off the lower branches?

rcn48 and pollyk, may I please have links to your websites where you sell these plants? You are probably going to think I am nuts but, I've already begun to create my list of conifer, hydrangea, 3 Kalmia, and other plants that I will need to order for '07. I had a high mortality rate on plants stuck in the ground in '05 thanks to the drought. I've been maintaining a list of plants that never broke dormancy and there are quite a few I will want to replace. The Hydrangea are plants that I just flat out want. The few I planted last year made it... probably because they were planted in "hose range".

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Equilibrium

I don't sell over the internet, nor have a website. Plus I don't want the folks at Daves Garden to think I am advertising.

However, I do have a small shipping size plant of Limelight, and Snow Queen that I would be willing to send you for postage. My Snowflakes are too large to send.

I haven't sent many plants this year to Daves Garden folks. I really enjoy doing it, and would love to send them to you if you want them.

Debbie, can't wait to see the pictures.

Let me know. Polly

You weren't advertising. I solicited the two of you. I prefer to buy from members when possible because well... they're members.

May I please have cuttings from one of your Snowflakes if you think they would make it to Illinois without drying out? I understand they root well. How generous of you to offer whole plants. Gosh, I love DG members!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

levilyla- I would say it was espaliered, although technically not in such a structured manner. There was a main leader branch growing up which they had tied highest but with a little sort of bend in it. Then a loose structure, pulling the upper branches up and away from each other so you could see them individually. It was all very loosely done so it had a lot of movement to it. The bottom was left bushy. It was framed nicely because it was planted in an odd alcove corner at the side of the house.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Equilibrium,

I haven't a clue how to ship cuttings. But if you, or someone will tell me, I will give it a try.

Still the offer to send you the other two if you want them. Just let me know. We are talking whole plants, but they're small.

Dave's Garden people are nice. I have been lucky enough to be on the receiving end.

I absolutely refuse to sell anything through any contact at Dave's Garden. What I have here is a very small nursery, run by my daughter and I. We both work full time. It brings in enough extra to support our plant habits, and that's all we had planned on.

I think someone just got in trouble on DG for accepting monies or in kind for plants. It's a valuable resouce I would never want to jeopardize.

Polly

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

And besides- if you don't have Limelight, in my opinion you really need it!!!!

Full sun to almost full shade. Keep it any size you want. Plant it and forget it. (Well after the first year anyway). Pick the flowers for fresh bouquets. Wedding planners love it. Dry the flowers for bouquets for winter. Goes with everything.

Ok, I'm a believer. The Snowflake was one I had on my "list" of all of about 3 Hydrangea for next year. I didn't have the others you offered to me on my "list" but I'm game for any plants that are pleasing to my eye and those are certainly pleasing to the eye. The way I figure it is that I can always happily make room for more to enjoy. I deliberated over the Limelight when you offered it because I had seen photos of that before and liked it very much but to be quite honest with you, I didn't want to be greedy so I figured I'd go for the cuttings.

As far as cuttings, about 5" of new growth with 2-3 nodes. Pinch off all but the upper most new growth and wrap tightly in wet paper towels until you circle the bottom of the cutting a few times to keep it good and wet. Compress that and wrap in tinfoil to eliminate as much air coming in contact with the stem as is possible and then toss that in a ziplock. Sometimes they make it in the mail without drying out, most times they don't but if you can spare a few nips knowing that they might not ever root with them time they will spend in the mail, I'd love to try them.

Thank you very much Polly. Please D-Mail me your address and I'll get money to you for shipping and handling.

Atchison, KS(Zone 6a)

Hi!Here is a shot of the north side yard and the deck posts are almost buried!.....Dave

Thumbnail by Davers
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Equil,

I will dmail you seperately, however, a little more explantation on the cuttings please. I'm dense. I don't propagate much as most of what I purchase for resale is patented.

I'm with you up to wrapping the cuttings. How far up do I wrap them in the paper towels and tinfoil? How much of the cutting goes in the baggie?

I thought maybe others would like this info too.

Polly

Here's what you do for cuttings... you go over by Davers and you cut neatly around his wonderful plant in Kansas and then you box the whole thing up and truck it to me in Illinois. Just kidding, I have no idea what I would do with a plant that big right about now given I can barely get babies in the ground by myself these days.

Back to the cuttings. I've got to go out and take some cuttings of 'Annabelle' for another rmember here so I'll get photos and post them of how I was told to do it to be able to ship the to her to start. She told me the same thing- Sometimes they make it in the mail without drying out, most times they don't. I've never propagated Hydrangea before about 2 weeks ago. I have quite a few I am rooting for a different DG member right now and by gosh by golly, they are easy as sin so far. Now watch... because I opened my big mouth... they will all shrivel up and die on me before they are sufficiently rooted to send to her. They were cuttings from my neighbor's shrub and wouldn't that be my luck to have to go back to Maria's house and tell her that I needed to get more cuttings because I jinxed myself.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

EQ, you have mail :)

Here's the best I can do on the cuttings. This is 'Annabelle' nipped about 15 minutes ago-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

I was told to take new growth that was not blooming. Here's a close up of the nodes-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Here's my nip job-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Here's my wet paper towel papoose job-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

I guess the goal is to keep it as wet as if it was in a glass of water.

Here's the next wrap job to sort of squeeze the wet paper towel in around the stem to keep the cut nodes wet-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Last wrap job to try to stop it from drying out when it's shipped-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Here's an 'Annabelle' that I sruck in a gell cell and just tossed up in on the ledge of my kitchen window. I made sure that the two nipped nodes were recessed down into the gell. I am told that most Hydrangea are ridiculously easy to root and that I should be able to stick them in a glass of water on a window sill and that they'll do their thing. We'll see. I don't have the greatest track record with cuttings but the others I started a while ago have not wilted yet-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks! I think I can follow that. Visuals always help.

I'm a visual person myself.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Rcn,

That's the most gorgeous hydrangea I've ever seen. Didn't realize there were so many different kinds of oakleafs. I have two very large berms in my front yard that I'd love to plant with some oakleafs. Maybe someone would be willing to give me some advice before I make an expensive mistake.

These berms are large - approx 30' x 10' each and shaded in the early part of the day, then get the late afternoon sun. Yeah, I know, wish it was the other way around. They do have some oak trees around them that offer moving shade throughout the day. I've planted a riverbirch on each berm to help protect plants from the late afternoon sun.

My plan is to plant the berms with oakleafs, azaleas, and some spring blooming bulbs in the sunnier spots. Can't do hostas due to the deer. Clusters of that incredible Snowflake would be perfect for the inner portion of the beds with lower growing plants around them. I think they would make for pretty fall color, too. Sound feasible to you? Anyone think this would be a mistake? I welcome any advice offered from those with more knowlege (you could fit my oakleaf knowlege in a thimble).

Thanks, Debra

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

They are easy to grow in sun or shade....BUT...the deer love them too.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Levilyla - If that's the case you just saved me a lot of frustration. Are they "deer candy" to them like hostas, or are they just at risk of being eaten like most other plants in the spring when they have young tender leaves? That might make a difference wherher it's worth a risk.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

No deer advice here, but when you mention "berms" my radar goes off.

Are these relatively high berms, and steep sloped? Oakleaf hydrangeas, with their relatively large leaves, do not like to dry out in the heat of summer (which I gather you'll have a bit of in Arkansas). If you are able to keep them moist in the summer months, then you are fine, as your river birch will need similar conditions to thrive.

Additional species to consider (woodies-wise) might include Itea virginica, Hydrangea arborescens, and Clethra alnifolia.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Viburnum,

Yes, the berms are at least 24" above the sod level if not more with sloping sides. Excellent observation.

I kind of like that Itea Virginica (Sweet Spire), but it just doesn't hold a candle to that Snowflake hydrangea. I'm afraid I'm smitten and will have to find a spot for these somewhere.

Judging by your name, you must know something about viburnum. I have a couple of the snowball types that struggle because of the late day sun and all the pests. They are along the edge of a wooded area and pretty much have to fend for themselves. Aren't there several varieties that have berries in the winter that provide food for birds? We live in a rural area and I'd like to plant more wildlife friendly shrubs. Unfortunately, all of the areas available for this type of planting get morning shade and afternoon sun. It's been a challenge to find plants that thrive in those conditions.

Thanks for your alertness! Debra

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

If you like Beautyberry, you could try that. The birds love the berries in the winter. I sometimes cut mine completely back in late winter and they come back looking nice in the spring. Not sure if yaupon holly is hardy in your area, but the birds love the red berries in the winter also (there are also weeping forms). But, you need a male and female with those. The beautyberries are self fruiting I believe.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

escambiaguy,

good suggestion. we have native beautyberry on our property. transplanted one last year into the area in question and it appears to be doing well. didn't think wild ones tolerated transplanting, but this one may make it.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I have an old one growing on the west side of an oak tree. It gets mostly evening sun and its doing great. It's about 7ft tall (I dont prune it).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.