Evening Primrose

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I like all of these plants but particularly this one called Lemon Sunset which starts out this wonderful pale yellow then fades to a soft peach. Seeds around easily but not invasive by any means.

Thumbnail by Galanthophile

Another view

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Galanthophile,
That is a lovely soft yellow. I wonder if that cultivar is available in the states? Is that wood phlox in the 1st picture? The purples look pretty together.

The purple plant is viola cornuta - a very pretty but quite vigorous plant but it's so lovely I don't mind. I also have the white form. I agree the blue compliments the yellow very well. I've tried to plant this border in mainly blue white and yellow. This is the viola.

This is the border at the moment

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Galanthophile,
Your border is quite beautiful now. It looks rich and lush and textured. I have to say the white, yellow and blue combination is also a favorite of mine.

Thanks. This is how my evening primrose looks this afternoon. I took the pictures above first thing this morning.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

The evening primrose is absolutely lovely. I think you're going to have quite a few of us scurrying around to find it here!

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

I agree its beautiful...:0))

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm envious, I only have the regular one.
It self seeds a bit, too. This year I managed to pot up a few seedlings.
It started blooming a couple of days ago.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow! I have to pay more attention! Seems like a month or so ago I was looking for Mexican Evening Primrose Sunset and everyone on that thread advised against it in the strongest of terms. I acquired three (at my own risk) and put them in pots near where I wanted them to but I'm expecting an invasion any day now! I can't find the original post but the people in it were quite insistant that I NOT plant Evening Primroses. The ones I have are tall and weedy looking, like 2 ft tall with a few tiny pretty flowers at the very top.

xxxxx, Carrie

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh yeah, around here the evening primrose is very invasive. I planted it once in my rich flower beds and it was tall and leggy, they like it lean. I think they are considered a wildflower. Best to put them in the worst, driest, ugliest soil you have. Then they'll be lovely.

Yes they seed around and they do prefer quite poor soil - the native form is a wild flower after all. The named forms are worth seeking out though. I would never be without Lemon Sunset.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I am counting on them being invasive, I have planted them on a hill in the shade and they are blooming beautifully. I want the hill covered so keep on spreading please.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

That's a real beauty I was'nt familiar with. And your border is gorgeous! I'm particularly fond of that color combo too.

Thanks!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, today for the first time I noticed shorter, prettier blooms, and the top blooms are fuller and prettier too. Took a pic but I don't know how to get it from the camera to the computer!!!!! If it's going to look this pretty all the time I might even dare to plant it in the regular garden... next year.

xxxxxx, Carrie

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Oh Ann your plant is gorgeous in every way! Love it.

I think there are so many forms of the biennial evening primrose. Most of the wilder ones are quite weedy but not that difficult to control. And I like to have some as the moths love them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.