Asarum.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Love the variations on each plant, and how each plant can vary from another.

Thumbnail by raydio
Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Someday I will find a vigorous variegated Asarum that will survive up here. Yours is nice.

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

That's really nice!

Nearly all of what I see in the immediate area are variegated. I think they are A. shuttleworthii.

PIC: The highly silver one.

Robert.

Thumbnail by raydio

The first photo looks like Hexastylis virginica? The second photos looks like it could be Hexastylis shuttleworthii var. shuttleworthii or maybe just a more pronounced H. virginica? I think H. shuttleworthii var. harperi has less variegation in the leaves but maybe I've got that criss crossed. Exquisite plant! Great photographs. Thanks for posting your photos.

Equi~

Thanks for the ID help. I'm so confused by the the Asarum-Hexastylus thing.......

Any links to a good site that explores "Wild Gingers"?

Robert.

Taxonomists! They do their best to confuse the living daylights out of us. Apparently Asarum was split out, probably based on DNA. I'm sure there were other issues. If you want to see something as confusing as all get out, check what's going on with cactus. Makes me want to start labeling any cactus as cactus #1, cactus #2, cactus #3 and so forth and so on.

Basically, Hexastylis virginica is synonymous with Asarum virginica.

Right about taxonomists.

I remember a few years ago when we learned how many chrysanthemums aren't. LOL!
I was working in a garden center and to most of my customers (and me), they're still ALL chrysanthemums, or rather, mums.

Robert.

I would agree.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.