suggestions for a climber for a wrought iron umbrella frame

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Some one gave me the wrought iron frame to an old large patio Umbrella. There is no cover; just the frame. We planted a pipe into the ground and then stuck the umbrella frame into the pipe. Now the frame is about 7 feet high. I want to plant some kind of vine or climber to run up and over the frame. I live in central MS in zone 8. I was thinking maybe yellow jasmine. What are your suggestions?

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Yellow jasmine, star/Confederate jasmine, mandevilla: you've got lots of great choices down there in hot MS!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I love that idea. might copy it someday. I would put window screen on the canopy part, so that whatever vine you choose truly creates an umbrella. but growing something thru the frame only will work just fine.

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Window screen. I hadn't thought about that. I think I will do that.
Thanks!

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I want to see a picture of this when all is said and done! Are you going to locate it so you can sit underneath and have a cool drink in the afternoon?

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Yes. I am looking for one of those wrought iron bistro tables to sit under it. A small round table that seats two would look good, I think.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.