Songbirds In The Yard

Hebron, KY

Here are some pics that DH took last year...........

This is a Northern Mockingbird eating extra crunchy peanut butter on a wooden post

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

This is a Red Bellied Woodpecker eating the same peanut butter

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Here's the same Woodpecker with a nutty morsel in its beak. Yum! We noticed that the Red Bellies went for the peanuts first before they went for the creamy part of the peanut butter.

Marilyn

This message was edited Jun 17, 2006 6:49 PM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

That's a really neat idea. My husband loves his woodpeckers. Time for me to bookmark this thread so I can show him he can smear peanut butter all over our trees. This looks like a blast. I love it!

Hebron, KY

Equilibrium,

Ever since we've been feeding the birds, every day year round since December 2000, my DH, Dean, has been saying "another generation born and raised on peanut butter" (JIF extra crunchy PB).

Marilyn

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh Equil, I have a better idea!!! Just spread the peanut butter over your husband and let him stand outside. Got the visual?

I love woodpeckers too. I hope they find me sometime soon!

Peoria, IL

I had a common yellowthroated warbler in my yard this morning. It was perched on the columbine, eating the seeds.

I alway enjoy it when a flower planted for one species (like hummingbirds) attracts something else too...

Hebron, KY

Joe,

How sweet! I love seeing birds eat the seeds of my flowers. Makes me feel good that I have it to offer.

Marilyn

Hebron, KY

Here's a pic DH took on a winter day. I had peanuts in the shell that I filled into the opening of the old wooden post (also smeared the post with xtra crunchy PB). The Mockingbird (and other birds loved it) is sitting here ready to get some.

I had to quit doing it when I was finding peanuts (and peanut seedlings) in my garden buried in the ground.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.