Percicaria polymorphia ( or white dragon - MF)

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

My mountain fleece is about to burst its blossoms

Thumbnail by Maria
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Maria,

I just got a few plants of that. Now I'm glad I did. How old is your plant. Can you guestimate how tall and wide? I like it!

Thanks, Polly

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Polly, it is about three years (old about 20" tall then) now it is 6 feet tall and about 5 feet wide, make certain you have lots of space for them , they are huge but very graceful I cut them down after frost, there leaves turn to a nice color in the fall

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Maria, thanks, room I have plenty of, I was looking for something big. Thanks for posting the picture.

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

I thought I had lots of room but as you can see, it is moving into the other plants, probably will have to transplant those next year.
Another large perennial I have is cultivated Jo- py-weed, it blooms much late and is just very nice too, perhaps you have it?

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Maria, great photo - I love this plant! Ours is in its 4th year and is even better this year. Unfortunately I haven't taken a photo this year, but this is from last year.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Maria, yes on the Joe Pye Weed. That is about my favorite plant. I have Gateway, Carin, Little Joe, and Joe White.

Fair Haven, NY(Zone 6a)

Polly, Where did you find this plant? Locally? It's on my wish list, lol.
Thanks!

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

so glad you have them, Polly, and yours looks exactly like mine, rcn. they are just great , what a show they give us, and very faithful and no bugs, but Jo py weed is very susepticle to some have to spray it first thing when they start coming up.
We have a nursery near by, that specializes in plants such as these, perhaps you have one too, Starina, if not you can order them via google

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Starina, boy you're close. I think I got it at Wayside in Macedon, have you ever been there? If not I would highly recommend you go, its quite the place, no relation to the Wayside on line.

Maria, I know my Joe Pye get quite eaten at first when they come up. However I read it's host plant to some butterfly, so I just put up with it. Did you know about all the different ones? Carin is very light pink, and Joe White is white. I just love them. I have some ornamental grasses with them, and they look pretty good together.

Polly

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

I don't have another one but will be on the look out for them, thanks Polly

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Did not want to start another thread but I thought you would like to have a look at one of my favorite perennials
it 'T. caroliniana' or 'Thermopsis'

Thumbnail by Maria
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Oh I like that one also Maria, that will go on my list.

How does the Persicaria look when the flowers start to die, or do you cut them off?

rcn48 - I see you have Fallopia next to your Persicaria. Now that's a great combo, and the Persicaria should stop the Fallopia spred.

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

cut of the flowers, the leaves here turn to a nice color after the frost I cut them down but leave a few inches so I know where they are

Fair Haven, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the info Polly!! I am just west of Fair Haven, so we are close indeed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.