Is it okay to cut down the asparagus ferns?

Mantua, UT(Zone 4b)

I know this is probably a dumb question to asparagus experts, but I am definitely not an expert. I planted asparagus last year. As instructed we did not harvest any. This year we picked asparagus for 3 weeks and then let the ferns grow. I planted tomatoes between the asparagus rows and they are not getting enough sun. Since this is another establishment year for the asparagus, do I need to let the ferns grow or can I cut them down to save my tomatoes?

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Sorry, you need to let them grow to feed the roots. They shouldn't be cut until after they die down this fall. ☺

Mantua, UT(Zone 4b)

Thanks. I guess I just won't have Brandywines this year. They are just not growing like my other tomatoes. I thought I was protecting them a little by planting them with the asparagus. Brandywines are my favorite. The book Carrots Love Tomatoes said that asparagus and tomatoes also love each other. Hmmm--I guess not when the tomatoes are shaded by the asparagus.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

The tomatoes should get up higher than the asparagus fern pretty soon if you have them caged or staked. I have the same sort of trouble with my corn and okra. The corn is in front of the okra and grows faster at first. The okra finally overcomes it later on after the corn is mostly done. I thought about turning them around but I still get plenty of okra anyhow. :)

Mantua, UT(Zone 4b)

Vashur - These asparagus ferns are over 3 feet tall. In this area we don't usually have tomatoes that grow very high unless they are a cherry.

How about this idea - I will tie the asparagus ferns "gently" together sort of like a little girl's ponytail and that might allow more sunlight in?

I won't be posting for a while because I am going to Alaska. Hope my garden survives while I'm gone.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.