Lambs Ear

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

It's starting to bloom, thought I'd take a few shots.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

They spread pretty fast so you have to keep them within their boundaries.
Andy P

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Cool! I've never had any Lambs Ears.
Sherry

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Last one.
They are so soft.
Andy P

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

I've never seen anything like that!
Very cool.
Sherry

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

They're beautiful, Andy! And yes they are very soft. My 15 month old grandaughter loves to feel them. :-)

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Shery, they are a nice color even when not in bloom, the flower is tiny.
Glad you like them.
Andy P

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

Those are so beautiful!! This is the first time I've seen them in bloom. I don't think I even knew they bloomed. I sure wish I could grow them successfully here in my garden. I think it's too hot here for them.

Lin

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I have this one and the bees adore the flowers.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

My little neighbor girl used to come over everysummer when she was little and ask if she could pet my "Sheep's Ears." They are fun to touch and pretty too.

Susan

Barrie, ON(Zone 5b)

I bordered my perennial garden with lamb's ears and I didn't realize they got so TALL! Now I'm rethinking my decision to use them as a border...

Thumbnail by krystine
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Krystine, I have the same problem and they spread way too fast.
I have to move a lot of them. I like the silvery color though.
Live and learn.
Andy P

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Susan, cute on the "Sheep's Ears"! My friend's daughter, age 4, asked if I was going to grow the rest of the lamb too or just the ears! Kids!

Clinton, IN(Zone 5b)

I use them as a border but I cut the blooms to dry and use in flower arrangements when they start to get too tall. That way I can enjoy them indoors and out!

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

A friend gave me three tiny lamb's ear plants last spring. My how they have grown in one year time! They are planted in the kid's garden at my "old" (still on the market) house where they are battling it out with some anise hyssop. I heard that some people cut off the flowers, so I gave that a try. I have to say that I am pretty happy with how it turned out.

I have another patch at my new house. I have not cut off the flower stalks from those, but after a few heavy rains the plants are looking pretty beat down. I will probably get out there an cut them back in the next week or two.

- Brent

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Krystine, the giant lamb's ears actually stay shorter although the leaves are much larger than regular lamb's ears. They seldom bloom. I've found I have to divide them about every 4-6 years.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

DancyTx I have a variation that does not and will not bloom. It was given to me. I do like the blooms. Mine is sheltered from afternoon sun and is o.k. with the heat.

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Those are so pretty, how do you get them to stay up right, my dh's is just laying all over the ground.

Connie

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Podster for letting me know that someone in my area can grow lamb's ears successfully. ;) I will give them a try. I love the color and texture of this plant. I have a garden that is well shaded and I could try some there.
Lin

Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi everyone,
Here is a collage of my lamb's ear. I have a love hate relationship with this plant. I love the look and feel, hate how much it can spread. Of course it only spreads where I don't want it to not where I want it to. LOL

Thumbnail by buckimom
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I did some thinning on mine yesterday. I notice a lot of 'volunteers' coming up where they don't belong, too.
Andy P

Do the volunteers come from the roots or from seed. With that many blooms, I bet it would really seed...

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Podster, must be from seed. They are in every garden now.
I think they survive my composting. It does not get hot enough.
Andy P

I should be so lucky. Things have to be tough to survive this climate and my care.

Gilbert, AZ

This message was edited Aug 5, 2006 9:34 AM

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I planted some this spring and they were doing do great, then they started declining. I don't think I overwatered but remains are mush looking (like when you overwater stuff). Since it is my first experience w/ them, don't know if the heat caused this. I did have another plant growing in the SAME location that also died on me suddenly. If it is a problem with the soil in that area, I am at a loss as to how to rectify. However, nearby plantings are not affected.

Caution, ugly pic. I you can't see the lamb's ears, it's because they almost all gone. just a little plant on left.

Thumbnail by vossner
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Vossner, try moving them to an area where they don't get watered very often and have no mulch to hold in the moisture. As long as the root is okay, they'll leaf back out. Lambs ears are extremely drought tolerant so I'm guessing they don't like being kept so wet. It looks pretty shady there too although mine don't seem to mind being in shade as long as it's dry.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

thanks Hart. yeah, they do get water because tropicals are nearby.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.